• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Figs

I love figs. Late last year I bought a Violette de Bordeaux. It is a cold climate fig. Then I found out Ronde may taste better then Violette. Check 'me both out:

Here is the book on Violette de Bordeaux:

Violette de Bordeaux
A small, super, jet black fig from Spain
considered by many to be the very best tasting fig.
It's very hardy, good for cold climates.Two crops.
It's highly productive in pots. Dwarf and prolific.

I had Chicago Hearty figs for a couple years.  In theory, they die back every winter and then regrow.  I think it was the third year that they bit the dust.  Maybe more mulch / cover during the winter.  Planning on buying some again this year, but container grow and bring inside.

My wife has been hounding me for years to plant a fig tree. I think that in cold clinate places you do need to trim back and even cover the fig trees to overwinter them out side.

chiltepin said:
I love figs. Late last year I bought a Violette de Bordeaux. It is a cold climate fig. Then I found out Ronde may taste better then Violette. Check 'me both out:
Here is the book on Violette de Bordeaux:
Violette de Bordeaux
A small, super, jet black fig from Spain
considered by many to be the very best tasting fig.
It's very hardy, good for cold climates.Two crops.
It's highly productive in pots. Dwarf and prolific.
I am going to look into this variety. Space is one of the issues for me, so dearf and prolific are magic words.

Back