• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally - A second bloom!!!

It took time, a whole lot of time but I finally have a second bloom on my tomato plant. It's only been 193 days since I transplanted it and 137 days since I saw the first one.

I'm not making this up! The plant was originally under a single 23 watt CFL light and grew fantastically well. Not leggy but with some decent branches and leaves. A blossom emerged on March 27 but fell off, even though I tried sonicating it.

The plant got too tall for the table it was on, so I moved it onto the floor and stuck it under a 45 watt LED light. It grew great, but no blooms. Then I moved it in front of a south facing window where it would get lots of sunlight. Still no buds.

But since it was fairly tall (well over four feet) for a container tomato, I was going to exhibit it at the fair at the end of last month. Alas, once I saw how it looked, too many yellow or brown leaves, I decided to leave it on the sidewalk.

A sucker had sprouted at the bottom of the plant and was growing decently, so I cut off the rest of the stalk and added it to my compost. Today, there is a bloom growing.

I didn't log when I sowed the seeds, but it had to be no later than mid-January. Can you imagine: Beefsteak. Indeterminate. 210-220 days from transplant.

Mike

Well Mike thats one late Beefsteak..But hay it came good in the end, 210-220 days from transplant wow.:rolleyes:

Back