• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Finally - Got to plant something

Thanks to keeping plastic over part of my garden, I was able to actually work the ground today. Not bad, after a week in which we got rain six of seven days, a couple of times 2" or more. It took a while to till it - the last time was nearly a year ago and it was packed. But after five trips over it, it was ready.

Twenty-seven each of Bush Goliath and Early Wonder tomato plants, as well as nine each of Rutgers, Celebrity and BHN 589. In between each tomato is a Parris Island Lettuce plant (79 total).

Rain is forecast for tonight (what a surprise!) so at least a few plants will get a start - if they don't drown.

I also got a tracking notification from UPS - my fruits (Sweet and Tart Cherry, Strawberry, Blackberry and Raspberry) should be here Wednesday.

This will also give me a chance to start charting Growing Degree Days. But on the flip side - this is the first time I have ever set tomatoes outside in the ground before May 15.

Mike

How deep will you plant them to avoid them getting washed away? or will you keep the plastic on for a bit longer to create a bit of warmth?

Awesome to hear you finally had a chance to get some garden work done in between all that rain, Mike! Sounds like you were really on the ball with the plastic.

How deep will you plant them to avoid them getting washed away? or will you keep the plastic on for a bit longer to create a bit of warmth?

The only variety that had any height was the Early Wonders. The others were started in horticubes and though their root system is massive, they are between 4-6" tall. I tried to plant all of them up to their bottom leaves.

The lettuce was started in 102-cell nursery trays. Nice rootball, about 2" deep, but the plants were 2" tall or less. They too were planted to their leaves.

I'm leaving the plastic off for now. Thankfully, we only got a drizzle last night, just enough to wet the very top of the soil. The sun is out now. If we get enough rain so I'm convinced the roots are soaked enough to grab the soil, I may put the plastic back on, but the temps are suppose to stay from the low-mid 40s of a night to the upper 60s during the day. I do have a roll of Agribon, good to 28 degrees, I can cover them with if any frost is predicted.

Mike

Back