• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Finally some ripe habs at the superkarket

Finally some ripe habs at the supermarket

I bought 3 packs since they have been crappy lately. I plan to chop and freeze some, pickle some, and use some as is. I had one with my dinner tonight and they're nice and hot.

IMG_1400.jpg

Expensive too.

IMG_1399.jpg

So bright orange

IMG_1408.jpg

Got some growing stuff for my seeds today...

IMG_1394.jpg

Nice where in NJ are you? They've had Orange habs at Wegmans for years, but nobody really buys them. To be honest they're always halfway towards rotting and not that hot! How are these? I can't believe shoprite has habs!

Lately there have been lots of green and greenish yellow ones - and several packs behind these were. I bought the best of the orange ones since they had them in stock. No telling how it will be so I got 3 packs.

They seem pretty darn hot to me. I had some BBQ style pork for dinner - slathered in BBQ sauce. I sliced one up thin and would take a bit with each bite to spice it up. Really nice. My mouth was a burnin' reeaaal niiiiice like. :hell:

I'm in north eastern Bergen County, right near the NY state border by Tappan NY and not too far from Sleepy Hollow. (the real one, from the Headless Horseman tale - Tarrytown, which is just over the Tappan-Zee bridge)

I just cold pickled a bunch of those in an empty pickle bottle with white vinegar, kosher salt, and garlic, in the fridge, right next to the other jar I did last week of mixed color habs. I'm gonna have me some hot pickled peppers in a few weeks.

damn you're all the way up north! You probably actually almost had real snow this year. I'm in Monmouth County, Hopefully, you know about cross country nursery right? seedlings in the spring, fresh chiles in the fall! probably about an hour or 2 away from you depending on the traffic. theyre in Rosemont and have about 500 varieties including nagas

FiveSix said:
damn you're all the way up north! You probably actually almost had real snow this year. I'm in Monmouth County, Hopefully, you know about cross country nursery right? seedlings in the spring, fresh chiles in the fall! probably about an hour or 2 away from you depending on the traffic. theyre in Rosemont and have about 500 varieties including nagas

Never heard of them. Thanks for the tip though.

We got lots of snow this winter. Too much for my aching back.

Just looked them up. These guys sell the real live plants via mail order. I wonder how well they ship?

http://www.chileplants.com/search.a...nID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed

Those look like they were grown in your back yard. Very fresh looking for store habs. The ones up here are green and almost fully rotton. I don't know how the sell them being rotton and green but those I would buy in an instant.

chillilover said:
Those look like they were grown in your back yard. Very fresh looking for store habs. The ones up here are green and almost fully rotton. I don't know how the sell them being rotton and green but those I would buy in an instant.

So I guess I did well by buying 3 packs? :lol:

So, would you guys guess any seeds from these would do okay if I just planted them?? They look (and taste) so nice, their genetics must be good, no?

I'd plant them. There shouldn't be any crosses since that's probably all they grow. Just don't know if they have to be dried before planting but I think the drying is just for saving seed.:P

chillilover said:
I'd plant them. There shouldn't be any crosses since that's probably all they grow. Just don't know if they have to be dried before planting but I think the drying is just for saving seed.:P

Yup. Birds are immune to capcasin mainly because it is symbiotic - they eat them and crap the seeds out where they grow - no drying there!!

you know what, You've inspired me, I'm going to every INDIAN, ASIAN and carribean markets I can find, lemme see what they have around!

FiveSix said:
you know what, You've inspired me, I'm going to every INDIAN, ASIAN and carribean markets I can find, lemme see what they have around!

...and if that fails, hit all of the Shop-Rites in the area. :lol:

You guys might want to try n find out who is the supplier that supply's
the Shop-Rites or whatever store that carries hot peppers. In Chicago
there is a large produce market that sells wholesale to other retailers.
The package I get from them is usually an 8 lb case. I went there 2/21/09
and got 2 cases, 16 lbs of orange habanero, for a total cost of 52$ US.
Comes out to 3.25 a lb.

Just so you people know, these habs are HOT. Man oh man. I didn't have lunch due to a dental cleaning so i was hungry. Noting around but some thin sliced swiss cheese. I wrap a slice around a hab and pop it in and chew that thing up. The pain at the back of my throat was so intense. Man. I ended up eating some romano cheese and baby carrot sticks to help douse the flame - and I usually like my pain.

I'll try one later:onfire:, like the other guy said they're probably all coming from the same place, but I picked up a couple things today @ wegmans.

wegmanscrop.jpg

worlok said:
Just looked them up. These guys sell the real live plants via mail order. I wonder how well they ship?

They're great, I order from them every year. If I lived as close as you, I would have to go for a tour.

Back