• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Finally - sowing seeds!

It's way past time to put carrots, peas and bean seeds in the ground here in Cincy, but I've been trying to reclaim 140 sq. ft. of garden space. But today I sowed 14 linear feet each of St. Valery carrots, Cherokee Wax Yellow Bush Beans, Alaska Peas and Chinese Red Noodle Beans. Also got about eight feet of other bush green beans and onion sets planted. Wanted more but ran out of seeds.

To top it off, amended another part of the garden where potatoes will go and almost got it tilled - the fan belt wore out with 40 feet to go. I've got to replace it tomorrow and get the spuds in the ground!

Mike

Sowed five pounds of Kennebeck potatoes this evening. Fifty seeds. Wow, will I be thrilled to get three pounds of spuds per seed!

Want to sow another five pounds of K's and 5 pounds of Yukon Gold as soon as I can pick up the seed potatoes.

Mike

I planted my taters back in March. They have buds on them now. Its not too late to plant carrots and beans. I havent planted neither yet. Then again its been too wet to plant them

Here are my Kennebec Taters
13zstvc.jpg

Good grief, Brian - they look extremely thick. I sow them eight inches apart in rows that are at least 18" wide.

But good luck!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Good grief, Brian - they look extremely thick. I sow them eight inches apart in rows that are at least 18" wide.

But good luck!

Mike

Those ARE 8 inches apart LOL. They are just thick. Mine always are tho. Been growin' taters like that for 30 years ;)
I hope yours produce. Never have planted this late before

Another day in my log. Finally got all the 95% silt dirt over the 95% clay soil, covering a 30' x 30' (or larger) area. Managed to rotary till about a 16' wide swath tonight, churning up winter wheat roots while mixing the different soils.

Tomorrow, I hope to scatter fertilizer, preferably 10-10-10 if I can find it, over the area and till it, along with the rest of the area again.

I have 27 feet of width, give or take a foot, of space left. That should be enough for two rows of potatoes, two rows of peppers, four rows of tomatoes and a row of green beans. Each row is at least 30 feet long, but most of them are 35 feet or so.

Looking forward to getting plants in the ground!

Mike

Back