• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finding hole in bonnets

Yeah I bet anything that's from earwigs. I just lived with it; it was only effecting a small percentage of my harvest. But, last year, my very first ripe chocolate Brainstrain pod, which looked fine otherwise, had been earwigged. I didn't notice til I'd picked it. That was the first time I'd ever grown those, and that was the first pod, so I was dismayed...(by season's end, though, I'd definitely had my fill of Chocolate Brainstrains...)

After that, I swore that I'd eff up any earwigs I saw by my plants. . . But I rarely saw any, except if they popped out of a pod while I was harvesting and ended up caught in the bag I was carrying the peppers in.

But yeah, if they aren't eating anything, just drilling the hole, that's earwigs. Pepper Maggots don't show noticeable holes; the parental fly can "knock-up" a pod without any easily noticeable point of entry. Slugs and snails definitely eat more, and will chomp leaves. Same can be said for mammalian pests.

But what you're showing above, that's an earwig's doing.

Incidentally, another gardener told me that there's something good to use as earwig bait... Like, i forget what it was, but the idea was you put something--some kind of food-- in a jar in your garden, and when you check the jar, several earwigs will be partly trapped in there and then you whoop their azzes. Repeat until you don't get holes anymore. But I don't recall what the "bait" item was and, tbh, I never tried it so I can't vouch for its efficacy.

However, the saucer full of beer trick will attract and drown slugs to very good effect.

Masher said:
It stuck to one plant of 4 for about 2 mos.

I didnt do anything but pull the rotten pods as I found them.

By late season I found a couple peppers on adjacent plant that was effected.

Pods were bell pepper shape, but jalapeno flavor.

Dolce something I think.
Same exact thing is happening to my Bishops Crown. Crap.

Haven't tried this, but I found an interesting anecdote about trapping earwigs after performing a sock search:
"Put a small amount (I used about 1/4 teaspoon) of soy sauce in a dish. Cover with 1/2″ of cooking oil. Burying is recommended, but shocker- I didnt. Results: I got about 200 bodies overnight. Yes, 200."

I might try that over at the Community Garden. The things do claim too many Chinense pods over there...

They're on my to-do do list this week... Especially after finding out that these European earwigs are an invasive species. Cuts down on the guilt factor, a little.

I'm a man of peace in almost every way, until I catch something (or someone) threatening my chile plants...

Bicycle808 said:
They're on my to-do do list this week... Especially after finding out that these European earwigs are an invasive species. Cuts down on the guilt factor, a little.

I'm a man of peace in almost every way, until I catch something (or someone) threatening my chile plants...

Bicycle808 said:
Haven't tried this, but I found an interesting anecdote about trapping earwigs after performing a sock search:
"Put a small amount (I used about 1/4 teaspoon) of soy sauce in a dish. Cover with 1/2″ of cooking oil. Burying is recommended, but shocker- I didnt. Results: I got about 200 bodies overnight. Yes, 200."

I might try that over at the Community Garden. The things do claim too many Chinense pods over there...

Thanks.  The wife wouldn't let me use any plates or bowls so I went to the grocery store to buy a pie pan.  Ended up buying one with a key lime pie in it so I'll HAVE to eat that first.  :rolleyes:

So far I haven't found any more MOA's with holes.  

Now to figure out why my foodarama's and freeport orange plants are so pale looking.  They get the same stuff everything else gets.  

Back