food First Attempt At Toffee

Well, I just got a sample of Reaper powder in the mail today and had to put it to the test.  So, I made toffee.  Recipe is as follows:

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of butter
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of water
Any hot powder to suit YOUR heat level

Add all ingredients into saucepan and 'boil' till 300 degrees (I used the water test as I do not have a thermometer)

Then pour into pan and add chocolate chips to the top immediately to melt, or melt in microwave and pour on top to suit.  Let stand or put in fridge.

I will be sampling this tomorrow with a few friends, or at least friends till they try it....  Just kidding, as I made it a tolerable level, or at least it seemed as I tasted along the way.

Don't you like torture? I just got up and took a couple pictures and will post tomorrow after work as i do not know how to post pictures from my tablet.

f42b5116363082e1222c9ae613012f196bcc55b22820cb62fb81b5e6534a329e.jpg

So, did you leave it in a big sheet or bust it up into pieces?

I've made toffee with friends when I was in High School, of course no powders in there back then but it was really good stuff. I've been also was thinking this might be a great thing to do with my kids this year.

Cheers,
RM

Oh, and yeah Pics :cool:

Ok, as promised, and a bit late, here are a couple of pictures.  The pictures are of the finished product cut up and ready for distribution.  It was an overall hit, and will be doing it again.  As I used Carolina Reaper powder, it was instantly sweet with a nice mild creaping heat that was not overly hot by any means, about Jalapeno levels, and probably more than that.  It lasted approximately 3-5 minutes per piece.

dCmWtQx.jpg

17CGL3l.jpg

RocketMan said:
So, did you leave it in a big sheet or bust it up into pieces?

I've made toffee with friends when I was in High School, of course no powders in there back then but it was really good stuff. I've been also was thinking this might be a great thing to do with my kids this year.

Cheers,
RM

Oh, and yeah Pics :cool:
For your info, I made a cup of the stuff, so I cut the recipe in half.  I instantly poured it into a square baking pan, approximately 9" x 9".  The pan was lined with parchment paper than I quickly shook and tapped the pan on the counter to spread the toffee.  About 5 minutes later I melted a little bit of chocolate chips, poured on top than spread it across the surface.  I then placed it in the fridge for a half an hour, took out, place on a baking sheet and cut up into approximately 3/4" - 1" squares (as seen freshly cut in the pictures).

I like the simplicity of the recipe.  Besides the heat, is this a standard toffee recipe?  Was there a distinct buttery flavor?

@Roguejim, yes besides the heat, it is a standard toffee recipe.  And as for the buttery flavor, I am not too sure on that one as I am not really a big sweets person, so I cannot give an honest answer.  But I do feel that it is more on the sweet side as well as it was always mentioned by my victims, I mean friends.  I did stir it for a long time on low heat and used the 'water test' to determine if it was ready.  Sorry I cannot answer this properly, but this was my first time at making candy.  Just found the link, so I will post it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/english-toffee-33357

@oldsalty, milk?  I thought I was supposed to dunk it in suds.....  :P

I've made toffee before and this recipe works great. Not sure if i'm legally allowed to share this but whatever

INSTRUCTIONS

1. For the toffee: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Line bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking dish with waxed paper and spray paper with cooking spray. Arrange crackers, in single layer, salt side down, on waxed paper.

2. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and peanuts in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on highest power until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Stir and microwave until mixture begins to boil, about 2 more minutes. Stir in butter and vanilla until butter melts. Microwave until liquid begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in baking powder.

3. Working quickly, pour sugar mixture over saltines and spread evenly (if mixture hardens too quickly to spread, place baking dish in oven for 5 minutes). Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Invert brittle onto cutting board, peel away waxed paper, and, using hands, break into large pieces. Return pieces, toffee side up, to baking dish.

4. For the topping: Melt chips and butter until smooth. Stir in corn syrup and, using spoon, drizzle mixture over brittle. Let harden for 1 hour

This is from a subscription based professional quality recipe site fyi, so don't deviate aside from adding the powders because the proportions are perfect lol

obchili said:
".... the finished product cut up and ready for distribution."

Should we just PM our address or ....? :rofl:

Great recipe. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

because of this my fatass made some poor man's toffee tonight with djinn's spicy powder he sent me. I'll post pics when it hardens

Grass Snake said:

I knew someone would would comment on that even before I posted it, it was just a matter of who and when >_>. Onto more phallic talk, it's hard but now i have to drizzle some melted chocolate on it and let it get hard again lol
pre-chocolate covered toffee, so you can see dem nuts I hear you like grass snake ;) I used djinn's spicy powder in this recipe
Photoon11-21-14at1139PM.jpg

obchili said:
Hey BigB. We got something close in common. We both used the same powder from the same supplier!
 lol my gf hates me, i made this for our 3.5 yr anniversary and she's like wtf, i don't even like brittle and this is way too spicy. I tasted it an i thought it was a .5/10 lol

Back