• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First attempt with Sauce Making

First attempt at hot sauce. I went the cooking route instead of the fermented because I'm new to this. Garlic at first then screaming hot. I used this recipe. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/152262/scotch-bonnet-hot-sauce/

My particular land race of scotch bonnets is very very mild. It grows not too badly here but the heat has mostly left them. I use them for pickles. This is year I tried a new pepper. The Scotch Brain from WHP. I thought to myself, self how much hotter could it be? The answer is a lot. A microscopic dab is all you need with crackers and cream cheese. Then it isn't bad. More than that and the agony comes to pay you a visit. Not for the meek at heart. 

Nik4gwX.jpg

I think I may add a bit more salt next time. To me it was flat. From the link, 

"1 teaspoon vegetable oil, 18 peppers fresh Scotch Bonnet [I used Scotch Brains] peppers, sliced and seeded, 6 peppers fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced, 6 cloves garlic, crushed, ½ cup minced onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, 2 cups water, ¼ cup distilled white vinegar, 2 tablespoons white sugar"

In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine oil, peppers, garlic, onion, and salt; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Lots of coughing involved or use outdoor stove.

Pour in water, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the ingredients are soft. Stir frequently. Remove from heat, and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Transfer the mixture to a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour in vinegar and sugar; blend until mixed. Keep refrigerated.

Back