• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

first chilli pod

heres the first ever chilli pod i have produced. The seedling was sold as a brown habanero? (is this the same as a chocolate habanero?) anyway my two brown plants have loads of fruit on them and i am very pleased. I have a lot other plants that have just been moved to their final pots after getting seeds from hippy co. thanks to them again. soon i won't have to buy anymore hab pods from the markets for my sauces :) gotta love it.

Image is at http://bayimg.com/IAMCPAaBm as i'm not sure how to attach it here

There are many types of brown C.chinense and they are usually all labelled as brown or chocolate hab, although they are usually congos and not real habs.
It doesn't really matter what they are called is long as you like them, and I haven't met a brown/chocolate C. chinense that I didn't love.

Here you go man:

iamcpaabm.jpg

To link pics just take the url like "http://bayimg.com/image/iamcpaabm.jpg"

and click the square yellow box that looks like a mountain and sun above the box you type your reply in. Then paste the url into the box that pops up.

It puts the url between image tags "
" without the "s

one quick question from the new bloke.... how do i know when to pick the pods. I figured this one was ok since it went brown, but maybe its too early to pick? is there a golden rule about how to tell when to pick the different pods.

leave it on the plant a little longer after it turns brown, say maybe a week should do.

It wiz nae me either it wiz 'im!

congrats on your 1st grown chile pod, & a heck of a pod I might say since its a brown hab. as for when to pick them that pod looks like it was picked at the correct time.
hope you have some great harvests this season.

I pick mine depending on the time of season. The first ones I pick too early because I am too impatient (and because I heard it encourages new growth) the next ones I pick as soon as they turn red/orange/yellow whatever they are supposed to be. Later I pick them after they have ripened for a bit because I am tying to figure out what the hell to do with them. Finally, pick whatever you can salvage when the first frost comes.

Back