• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First crack at high Scoville peps

Hello all, my first post and hoping for feed back as to whats happening out there with the others. I have 2 Bhut's, 1Scorpion and 1 7pod all of which were started inside and have now been out for apprx 1 month. They're barely 6 inches tall and I'm concerned I spent decent money and will end up with zero. All other plants in garden are doing fine other than the lillies being mutilated by the red lily bud and the Magnolia being raped by the Magnolia Scale. Getting about 6-7 hrs of morning sun and things "should" be good. I bought some California bells in a box plant store to compare growth and they're beside the heat and doing well.

Suggestions ?

Are the plants in the ground? If so, container growing might work better for you next time. You just have so much more control over most growing variables when growing in containers, and roots never get as cold as in the ground

+1 Potawie...

good luck with your peppers...if they are bushy, don't worry about the height...bushier plants = more nodes....more nodes = more pods...

my Bhuts, 7 Pots, and Scorpions are about 12" plus or minus 3" but they have been outside in containers for at least 2 months...just remember, those varieties are loooonnnngggg season pods...from my experience down here in Texas, it takes a good 8 months for me to get a good harvest but I lose at least two months in the summer due to no pod set in July/August...

zappa883, I noticed you are in Toronto, what has the temperatures been (highs and lows) on average, certainly if it has been cool it will effect the growth and habit. Those peppers like the soil and air temps to be relatively high. I agree with AJ in that as long as the peppers look healthy you probably do not have much to worry about.

In Michigan, the super hots (for me) sit here for 1.5 months and grow roots underneath. They then spike up. It appears they are doing nothing, but they actually are. It's odd.

+1 on what everyone else has said! lol
Pepper plants are slow starters. But once they get going...they REALLY get going. I started here in NC at the end of Feb, and Im already getting pods on at least half of my plants. If you want to get some tips from someone in Canada, talk to chillilover. He has taught me just about everything I know. Or hell, Im sure there are others from Canada here. Either way, best way to learn is trial and error. Shoot, my first set of plants this year all died. Had to start all over. lol

The weather has been decent for the most part, couple days of rain as of late. I've given all the stalks a good tug to ensure they're OK and have not been violated from below as the bugs are insane this year both above and below ground . My Magnolia tree is covered with Scales, my hybrid Lilies are like fast food for the red lily bugs. I bought 10 bags of Cayenne pepper powder from the local Eeast Indian store and powdered the garden red in fact will redo after the rain. Appears it may have at least helped to some degree or everything would be part of the feeding frenzy..

How do I insert a jpg. ?

Zappa, Its very difficult to determine why your plants are barely 6" tall. Our weather has been good for growing peppers but it they were in too small a pot for too long before you planted them outside it could of of gotten to rootbound and stunted the growth. Like Potawie said better to grow them in pots. especially if your new to growing. It takes practice and figuring out what they like to thrive. Best to show pictures to give us a better idea. Do you have a photobucket or flickr account?

If you don't want to grow in pots, a raised garden is another good choice.
When planting I believe soil temperature to be very important especially for younger plants in the spring, and I find it helps if you don't water with cold tap water

If you don't want to grow in pots, a raised garden is another good choice.
When planting I believe soil temperature to be very important especially for younger plants in the spring, and I find it helps if you don't water with cold tap water

+1 I never put small plants in the garden. I always wait until they are mature enough and a raised garden bed is a must for me too.

No photobucket etc (work computer) Judging by the feedback it's a hurry up and wait situation. I never use cold water rather a watering can filled from the night before.

Back