• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First ferment

Hello everyone,
I have 2 jars on jalapenos fermenting. In each jar I put 4 cups of filtered water with 3tbs of pink Himalayan sea salt. The mixture is cloudy now. I started the ferment on 8/8. Does this look ok?

Also, I saved a few gallon water jugs and after thinking of way to keep the peppers submerged, I cut the tops off of the jugs and made 4 cuts so I could fold the plastic when inserting the into the jars (1/2 gallon Mason jars). When slipping into the mouth of the jar, they expanded perfectly!

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_103444.jpg
    IMG_20200812_103444.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 137
So it's been a week and my peppers have turned a full green color which is a good thing from what I have read. However, I haven't seen any bubbles forming. The mixture smells pleasantly sour but no bubbling. Is this an issue?

jodom said:
So it's been a week and my peppers have turned a full green color which is a good thing from what I have read. However, I haven't seen any bubbles forming. The mixture smells pleasantly sour but no bubbling. Is this an issue?
This is pretty normal. I would let it go for 2 months and that should be a good time to taste a pepper. The first week can vary for a ferment. Sounds like yours did not get an aggressive start. No worries, just practice a little patience and let it do it’s thing. 

Back