First fruits on Hawaiian Chili Pepper

Super excited my Hawaiian chili pepper plant is finally getting its first fruits. Also can't wait for this summer heat to subside.
Going to make some Hawaiian chili pepper water from this first harvest. (If you haven't had, it's super easy to make and a great condiment on lot of food)

iKswMiy.jpg

Looks like a Tabasco pepper.  Have you tried them before?  How do they taste?  And let me know how you make that "chili water"
Looking good.

Tybo said:
Looks like a Tabasco pepper.  Have you tried them before?  How do they taste?  And let me know how you make that "chili water"
Looking good.

I'm not 100% sure on the origin of the Hawaiian chili pepper, but to me it seems like a type of bird's eye variety that made it here to the island and adapted to our climate. Kind of like the "Hawaiian Sun Ray" pepper, which i think is just an Italian variety that was adapted to our climate. Again, I'm not sure.

I think I have a bad palette, i'm not good at tasting things and describing their flavors. But I can say that they are pretty hot.

Here's an article from Maui magazine with a simple recipe for Hawaiian Chili Pepper water: https://www.mauimagazine.net/savoring-the-burn/

Back