• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics First harvest of the season

My plants have had peppers on them for what has seemed like weeks, and after a lot waiting and a lot of convincing they have started to ripen!  Everything but my golden marconi and yellow monkey face has ripe peppers hanging off of them, it's such an exciting time.  Here's a quick peek of some of the haul from yesterday...I thought I had pictures of them all but I guess I left them on the camera.

first_pepper_haul.jpg

I pulled my first Defcon7 peppers (lower left) of the season and will be pulling Yellow and Red Brainstrains when I make it home today.  Dasiy cutter yellows and SBJ7 are ready to go as well.  I don't know what I'm going to with all of these peppers but it sure is nice to see them develop into these awesome pods.

The big green one is a 7 Pot White that my wife accidentally picked. It's going into a paper bag today so it can finish up. Awesome peppers when they're ripe and white.

I'll upload more pics tonight.

The 7 Pot White peppers are all "large" compared to most of my other peppers.  I would say they're a tad larger than a golf ball.  The plant is smaller than most of my others and it doesn't seem to be yielding as many peppers, but what's on there is that large.  I'm growing over 30 varieties this year and the largest hot pepper I have is the yellow brainstrain, those things are much larger than I expected them to be.  I don't see how Nigel and some of the guys here eat those things whole.

Thanks!

awesomesauce! gratz man, I still have away's to go here.

how long on average do you think it took your pods to grow and ripen after fruit set?

I had a heck of a time keeping 7 pot white seedlings alive this year, I've got two in the pepper rows but they're still runts right now.  I'm sure by next month they'll be in the full swing of things.  That's one I'm really looking forward to trying

I'll be making sauces (personal use), powders, and probably attempting to sell some sfrbs once my freezer gets full.  We've had peppers with every meal for the last week and it's been great!

filmost said:
awesomesauce! gratz man, I still have away's to go here.

how long on average do you think it took your pods to grow and ripen after fruit set?

It's really varied from plant to plant.  My orange bullet habanero will set, grow, and ripen pods in ~2 weeks.  This batch of superhots has taken about a month, but now that the temps are around 90F during the day here in South Carolina it's dropped times by about a week.

ikeepfish said:
I had a heck of a time keeping 7 pot white seedlings alive this year, I've got two in the pepper rows but they're still runts right now.  I'm sure by next month they'll be in the full swing of things.  That's one I'm really looking forward to trying

I actually had a hard time with my 7P White seedlings as well.  I started with 5 plants but within a month I was down to three.  I had to really watch them close and give them a little extra care until they reached 12-14" in size.  My plants are now almost 5ft tall and 3 ft wide with at least 20 pods on each.  My brainstrains, defcon7s, and other supers are just as large with anywhere from 50 to 100 pods setting and ripening.  I don't think the 7P white is a great producer and that's okay.

hot1987 said:
7 pot white, orange hab..... Where can I I get seeds for next years grow??
pepperlover is a really great place, then there is peppermania, semillas, and a bunch of others, these three in would recommend most highly!
Judy, Beth, and Peter all are know their business and are in my opinion at the very least able to be trusted to give you exactly what you pay for! And really these three usually more than what u pay for!
Vlad actually is a really good guy as well, can't really go wrong with any of them.

Back