• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First hint of first ripening

It took just over a month and a half from the time the first flower opened, but my very first pepper has begun to ripen. I was beginning to think that I'd wasted an entire summer for absolutely no pepper payoff. Not that it's of the magnitude I was hoping for, but a poor return on time is much better than no return =]

purp-pepper-ripening.jpg

Now if only the ones that I'd actually wanted to grow had put out some peppers. My only other potential harvest is 5 serrano peppers on the plant I brought inside from a 'free with purchase' packet of seeds, none of the hots/superhots I'd grown put out anything.

This is what to look for. The first pods should ripen first. They should change to a darker green color then they will start to lighten in color depending on what color they are supposed to be. But look for first pods to change first. They should turn a dark green before they start to turn as mentioned. It all depends on weather and amount of light the plants get as well as what variety is grown. Superhots takethe longest to ripen. Usually from a month up to 45+ days to ripen

I pruned them all when I brought them in to avoid an aphid explosion.

Then I brought in 3 more with their leaves, didn't prune, and saw a helpful ladybug taking care of them anyway.

I don't think I'll be pruning next year.

Back