• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First hooks

Hey all,

Very excited here!! As of today had my first hooks popping up.

I seeded Bih Jolokia, Butch T, Fatalii, 7 Pot, Naga Morich, Naga Viper, Tabasco, White Hab, Bishops Crown, Cherry Bomb, Birdseye, Black Pearl, Pimento, Big Jim, Golden Hab, Hungarian Sweet Wax, Quintisho & Biriya Mirch on 31/7 and have sign of life!

Any guessing who hooked first???

I have hooks for Naga Viper, 7 Pot, Cherry Bomb, Hungarian Sweet Wax & Quintisho Orange. All looking very promising and I am quite surprised to see the Naga Viper and 7 Pot as one of the first to hook. I would have put my money on a lot more of the milder one's popping up before them.

But hey I'm smiling... and we are getting the first days of spring here now. Night time temps are going up to 10˚ and daytime a very sunny 22˚C. Looks like they were seeded at just the right time :)))

Smiling all the way. Will keep you posted as to who and what hooks next. And pics to follow. I can't wait for the Fatalii's to hook.

Greetings to all from sunny South Africa!

PeriPeri

Some pics of the seedlings planted on 31/7.

I have used an old aquarium with heating pad and trays raised off the ground. I have used gravel on heating mat to retain the heat. We often have powercuts here... just to add a curve ball to growing these lol. I have made quite a few mistakes, I know... but hey I'm learning. Have no idea what the hell happened to the White Habs? Maybe they are still coming? The Tabasco's too... and I thought they would be easy to grow. The Tabasco seeds where from a plant I had last year... maybe the seeds didn't keep. Also the medium... I have used regular potting soil available locally (Africa). I couldn't get any seedling medium. So these little suckers have really had to struggle to get out of the soil. Who knows... maybe they will be fighters as a result. I have labeled the pics with the germination rate to date (not the date). So far I have 98/138 germinated. Not sure how many more will still pop out... have kept a log of hooks but it seems to be slowing now. In any case I think its not a bad start.

I have started watering with water and a minute amount of multi feed and seaweed extract. Minute amount... like 2ml / 2litres.... and only every third day or so. Anyway... will post again in a while.

Any tips and comments welcome!

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Its all stuff available from our local nursery here S'Africa.

I mixed up a batch of primarily Eart 2 Earth Certfied Organic Herb Mix (Was a litte too course for my liking, but could not find seedling medium). To this I have added Vermiculite. Eco Green Certified organic Seedling food (Ca, Mg, Na, S, Cl, Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, B, Mo) & 3.2.2 SR which contains slow release nitrogen and potassium and has water absorbent polyment to aid water retention. Was a bit worried about over or under watering... so that sounded good.

I just basically threw a whole load of stuff together that looked ok lol

IMG_0248.jpg

LOL Hell by the posts on this site.... I have so many potential hurdles to overcome before I even see one pod... I sure hope I get some pods to see if they burn twice :)

Its really amazing to see them poke their heads up, and it's also crazy how much they will grow towards the light. You've got a nice selection there!

Good germination rates, well done.

I love it when the hooks pop up.

Thanks!

It becomes an obsession doesn't it... checking on them all the time?

I have just received Morouga Scoprion & Douglah seeds... that should about do it now lol Have absolutely no idea where I will plant them when they are bigger!!

If I manage to get it right and these pod... I should have enough to keep me going for a while I guess :D

Plants looking good! Caution on the starting medium, though. I used some coarse stuff (first timer) and I think it prevented a good root ball from forming, which delayed the growth down the road. Hopefully you've got enough vermiculite as you mentioned to mitigate this.

Do you plan to separate your plants or just go for the one 'king of the cell' to grow forward?

Plants looking good! Caution on the starting medium, though. I used some coarse stuff (first timer) and I think it prevented a good root ball from forming, which delayed the growth down the road. Hopefully you've got enough vermiculite as you mentioned to mitigate this.

Do you plan to separate your plants or just go for the one 'king of the cell' to grow forward?

I don't think I put nearly enough Vermiculite in unfortunately. But I am starting to add small amounts of seaweed extract to the watering which I believe is supposed to stimulate root & foalage growth.

Yea, I did plant up to 9 seeds in some trays, so I will need to look at separating and weeding out the stragglers. I have noticed there are some plants that are coming along nicely and some that just look underdeveloped. I hate to kill any of them off, but I also don't really have the capacity to grow them all.

Any idea when I should look at weeding out?

Weed out as soon as it becomes obvious what ones are winning the race so to speak.
They will compete up until that time.

South Africa?! Really?? You're gonna end up havin a great grow season dude. Way to go on your starts. I have 20 rares as an experiment to see if I could really do it before I start my big operation. They look just like your pics. Way to go man. Good luck on your grow year, keep us posted!
Brandon

South Africa?! Really?? You're gonna end up havin a great grow season dude. Way to go on your starts. I have 20 rares as an experiment to see if I could really do it before I start my big operation. They look just like your pics. Way to go man. Good luck on your grow year, keep us posted!
Brandon
Hey Brandon, Thanks for the encouragement. I certainly will! And good luck with your's too. I so bombed out on the white habs. They were the only one's not to grow at all.

It's beginning to warm up here now nicely. Nigh time temps are still low but we are approaching the mid to late 20˚C for daytime temps here now. Can't wait to get them out into the garden..

I still want to get some Marouga's and Douglah's growing before it's too late. Growing season here should be ok until at least April now.. so should be ok still :)

Good luck!

Weed out as soon as it becomes obvious what ones are winning the race so to speak.
They will compete up until that time.
And bye the bye... what the hell happened to the springboks in the tri-nantions??? They were slaughtered lol.... a brain strain enema comes to mind!!

Hi All,

Progress pics. I have started weeding out the meek and made some more space. But I think I must be getting close separating to planting on.

I am watering them twice a day with a spray bottle and mix in seaweed extract once a week.

I have some questions:

1) My Fatalii's are really slow and looking quite stunted. Are they just slow growers in general or what could be the problem here?
2) Some of the seedlings have rounded leaves for the first two. Is this common. Does it mean they are a different varietal or does it mean they have a dna glitch and will be shitty growers? Any one with experience shed any light on this. Or is it not a problem?

Actually quite sublimely ridiculous... here I am in Africa growing Fatalii's and struggling. You guys growing Fatalii's in mid winter and its's a blooming success... Go figure?

Apart from this all seems to be going ok. I have noticed a really good germination rate and growth rate among the super chillies (naga's, 7pot, bih's and ButchT's)... which I am actually very thrilled about. But on the other hand, the chillies I thought that would be easy to grow... have struggled. Like the Tabsacso's, Bishops Crown's, Pimentos)

My White Habs never amounted to anything. I can only deduct that the seeds I bought were dodgy.

I had only two Tabasco's germinate so I have temporarily planted those with the Pimento's and cleared enough room for Douglah's and Moruga's, which I seeded on 23/8.

Luckily I found seedling medium, which I have used for the Doughla and Moruga seeds. Together with a good dose of Vermiculite. 3.2.2 SR suppliment and seedling food. I also soaked the seeds overnight for the Doughla and Moruga seeds. Which I did not do with my other chillies at all. I am recording the process. So it will be interesting to see if they germinate quicker/better. And I will let everyone know.

All comments and suggestions are welcome...

Thanks

PeriPeri

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Hi All, greetings from a sunny and warm South Africa...

First days of spring here in SA.

Night time temps forecast to be 12˚C. Daytime today will be about 26˚C. Sorry to all you Northerners going into hibernation, but it's our time to have the sun. And we will be keeping it till May Wahahahaha!

So, today we are going outside! Its the first time. Only a little morning sun. Don't want the babies to burn now do I?

So here's the final list. 3 Naga Viper, 9 Naga Morich, 4 7Pot, 8 Bih Jolokia, 5 Fatalii, 7 ButchT, 4 Cherry Bomb, 5 Bishops Crown, 6 Black Pearl, 9 Zim Birdseye, 4 Orange Habs, 5 Big Jim, 7 Pimento, 2 Tabasco, 6 Biriya Mirch, 4 Quintisho Orange, 6 Hungarian Sweet Wax.

I have only just got my Douglah and Moruga seeds and am awaiting hooks on those any day now.

Anyway, heres a pic of the 2011 crop and a close up of the Naga Viper that is actually leading the race of all the seeds planted. Quite surprised about that I must say.

Chat soon

PeriPeri

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Back