• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First of the year ...Pix

Here they are. My first C. Chinense.
of the year.

img00271mo.jpg

The habanero in the middle is flanked by two Carribean Reds.

I'm also getting chile tepins. I have wild plants as well as a mature plant we bought at a nursery and planted. Most of these are from that plant. Those are a couple Bolivian Rainbows on the right which are pretty tasty.

img00288zm.jpg

Here's one of the Carribean Red plants...

img00240es.jpg

Here's the chile pepper side of my garden...

img00264np.jpg

And here's the tomato side....

img00255fn.jpg

I have soaker hoses for each side so I can regulate the watering. Tomatoes need more than chiles.

Very nice! Very nice indeed! The Rainbows look delicious(they are so tastie!!!!).

I'll be posting pics of my garden(including the 173 pepper plants) soon(probably Monday or Turesday). I'm finally getting some mature peppers, which I've already sliced and dried...

Nice job Chuk!! I was proud to have picked my first Jalapeno for the season today, but dude, your plants shame mine...btw, is that a rubber snake??:P

Excellent pictures Chuk. Its certainily gives us all something to aim for. Have you ever eaten Bolivian Rainbow pods in there immature purple stage? Personally I think they taste much sweeter and you can make some very interestingly coloured curries with them.

mark

darlochileman said:
Have you ever eaten Bolivian Rainbow pods in there immature purple stage? Personally I think they taste much sweeter and you can make some very interestingly coloured curries with them.
I am going to have to try that...

I picked these just today.

img00010av.jpg

Man, I love red jalapenos...but that's a lot! i may have to make some jelly....or give some away.

Here's a tabasco pepper plant my mother in-law gave me. I wasn't sure I'd like these but they are tasty little boogers.

img00035kb.jpg

OK, this is a little weird. On the left is a scotch bonnet. On the right is a hab. Go figure. I can't tell the difference.

img00025ch.jpg

Yeah, it was just a little 4" starter plant when I put it in. Chiles don't overwinter here generally except the wild pequins or tepins or whatever the hell you call 'em.

Very nice. Ahh the Scotch Bonnet habanero thing.......yeah. I'm thinking that something isn't quite right. They sure look like orange habs to me!! And dude you've got snakes!!!!! Is that like the Texan version of a scare crow or what? Man, your pepper plants look awesome. Enjoy!!

Yeah, the rubber snakes are to make the mockingbirds nervous. They have a nasty habit of pecking holes in the tomatoes and returning to feast on the bugs that draws. Foul swine birds. Alas, they are the state bird of Texas so it's ilegal to shoot 'em!:)

As for the scoch bonnet thing....could be someone switched the little tabs that come in the starter plants. Who knows....

chuk hell said:
Yeah, the rubber snakes are to make the mockingbirds nervous. They have a nasty habit of pecking holes in the tomatoes and returning to feast on the bugs that draws. Foul swine birds. Alas, they are the state bird of Texas so it's ilegal to shoot 'em!:)

Bummer. My grandparents "migrate" to Texas for the winter. They said those damn mocking birds will drive you nuts at four in the morning as they mock every other bird in the area. I love nature and I stick to the laws.....but when it comes to my garden....look out!!

sixstring75 said:
I love nature and I stick to the laws.....but when it comes to my garden....look out!!
I'm the same way. I would even go aas far as smacking a puppy if it went into the garden and had "fun"...and I find it very hard to smack a puppy...

chuk hell said:
Yeah, the rubber snakes are to make the mockingbirds nervous. They have a nasty habit of pecking holes in the tomatoes and returning to feast on the bugs that draws.

Will rubber snakes work for deer? How about a rubber chicken? LOL

POTAWIE said:
Will rubber snakes work for deer? How about a rubber chicken? LOL

Rubber snakes will probably work better than that weak axx pepper wax spray that you find in the store. That stuff is supposed to work for deer and rabbits. It doesn't, so when I ran out, I made up my own special dried Habanero / cayenne and several splashes of hot sauce spray. This was for some flowers in the landscaping by the way. I had orange and red flakes all over those flowers. Didn't bother them a bit. But I damn near cried making it!! I find lead poisoning to be the only effective solution......I hear that there is alot of it going around this year.
Hmmm... I wonder if rubber snakes will keep kids from cutting across my yard?

I got a motion sensor sprinkler setup which hasn't been proven on deer but works great on friends. approx 5 sec spray, 8 second delay. Water efficient.

We just did a post about the first peppers appearing on our container peppers. You can see it at:

Hector and Achilles, part 2

We'll have poblanos a lot sooner than any of the chinense, but we're just thrilled that they're growing as well as they are for now.

Back