• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics First plant, three pics, no glog, one question

This plant has to stay indoors. There is no place outside of my house where it won't be barbequed by the sun.
At first I had the light too close to it and/or it needed a fan (it has one now and is doing much better).
The last pic shows the light, but I moved the light up for the pictures. It is not normally that far away from the plant.

I'm posting to ask about the little nodules in this first pic. There are two in the bottom circle and one in the top.
At first they were not fallen over, but now I don't know if they are fallen over because of excess heat before I got the fan, or if it is natural.

Secondly, what are they? This is a jalapeno from a Ferry- Morse seed pack. My first indoor plant of any kind.

TQugHa5.jpg

Looks great. Those are buds and doing just what they should.
Either way, it looks like a great healthy plant.
If indoors you probably should pollinate it yourself.

When the flowers are opened up take a small brush or a q-tip and brush each flower around.Gently!
What your doing is transferring the pollen from the outside parts to the one center little thing you will see sticking out on each flower.
You should have flowers next week!

Yep.... perfectly natural. Flower buds doing what they're supposed to do. Like scrufy says, you may want to hand pollinate them once they open. A small hobby paint brush should do the trick.

The flowers, once pollinated successfully, will shrivel and fall off, and a pepper will grow from the bud.

I'm very surprised that there might be flowers on it this soon. The plant isn't even a teenager yet.
Is it going to make peppers from these flowers already?
Holy cannoli, if that is true then these things reproduce faster than feral cats!

Looks Annuum to me just judging by the large, widespread cotyledons. Healthy looking plant. Many people pinch off those buds on a plant that size so it focuses more on growing bigger than setting fruit. Once it's the desired size, they allow it to set flowers. Some just let them do their thing.

I would like the plant to grow shorter and thinker, rather than leaner and taller so that I can keep the light footprint within the smallest possible space and smallest relative cost.

During a Wally World run this morning I picked up a seed pack of cayennes and I placed four seeds under some giant sunflowers that are a foot tall in the back yard. I don't want four plants. I just placed two seeds each in two locations. If they all come up, two of them will get axe. This stuff might become addicting.

Wha???????????

Two here, two there. For insurance, you know. If all four sprout, then one from each location will be pulled.
I don't know what I'm doing here, and my growing location is not optimal. I just want a couple plants outside to play with.

No place outdoors????

A nice spot by a northern wall should give it enough light to harden it off after a week.

Or just run it outside for a few hours a day until it handles it.

They like twisty bulbs, but they love sun----in moderation.

Some of mine got put in the sunniest spot in the area last year, toasted them good every day.
But I still got peppers.

No place outdoors????

A nice spot by a northern wall should give it enough light to harden it off after a week.

Or just run it outside for a few hours a day until it handles it.

They like twisty bulbs, but they love sun----in moderation.

I don't have time to schlepp this plant in and out of the house like a fussy house cat.

And there is just not a safe enough place to leave the plant outside where it won't get absolutely fried by the sun and heat in southern Arizona.

Sunlight in moderation is not an option here. We get the Full Monty from the sun every day. So indoors it will stay and I'm happy with that.

I was told to pinch buds off at such a small size??????
Theres a couple different views on that.
Some pinch them off to let the plant focus all of its energy into growing bigger and producing leaves.
They wait till the next round for the flowers.

Others just let the plant grow naturally.

I've done it both ways. Either one is fine. Your not hurting the plant either way.

Back