First powder

I just couldn't wait for my own chillies to grow up and make things from them so I bought a handful of chillies from the local big supermarket. Time for a test grind. They were labelled Green Chillies, after seeing them in the bag the checkout girl rung them up as Loose Beans, hehehe half price. I saw the mistake as it happened and said nothing, damn huge supermarket companies they have enough money! If only I had known, I would have bought more.

A year ago we bought a coffee machine which was absolute crap, but it came with a coffee grinder. We returned the machine and kept the grinder and no one noticed. So last week I pulled everything out of the cupboard looking for the darn thing and came up empty.

I told my other half I wanted a coffee and spice grinder for xmas but couldn't wait and risk her getting a dodgy one so I bought one myself. Of course, as soon as I had tested it and dirtied it making a spicy rub I found the old one right at the front of the cupboard where I SWEAR I looked before.
Old one
attack005.jpg

New one
attack004.jpg

Really wish I had taken a pic of the Chilies, left them sitting around in a plastic bag for a week and I think they started to go off. I cut them up, put them in the dehydrator and powdered them in the Sunbeam grinder and gradually changed the setting so it was superfine.
powder001.jpg

powder002.jpg

It's been ground so fine!! I caught a whiff and it really cleaned out my sinuses too :lol:
Doesn't smell too good, like I said I think they had started to go off. A few had started to change from green to red.
I had expected something much coarser, but at least I know it can do the job. The finished powder also clumps together but its not wet. I think it is a static electricity thing.

First powder. :beer:

Looks good, I know what I am getting for Xmas now. A coffe and Spice grinder. Where did you get it Megamoo.

The Breville Coffee and Spice one was from Big W but the powder was made with the Sunbeam. The rub made with the Breville with peppercorns and cumin seeds etc wasn't as fine but I wasn't really going for that. It was still a good consistency for a chilli powder. I will try it out with Chillies when I get some more pods.

I've got a Sunbeam Multi Grinder but unfortunately I love my coffee and I do use it for that. Maybe I'll have to invest in a conical burr grinder for my coffee so I can use the Sunbeam grinder for chilli powder :)

gotta use 'em powders fast. the flavor and essences go bad real quick. unless you vacuum seal them every time you use 'em.

I know awhile back I read a post regarding the sticky powder. There is something you can mix in to get rid of the sticky.

I know awhile back I read a post regarding the sticky powder. There is something you can mix in to get rid of the sticky.

That sounds like what commercial makers would do. I'm sure there is something cheap to do that will make it unclump

just get a few dessicant packs and use them...moisture is probably what is causing your powder to lump...

+1 AJ , on the dessicant packs.
Also a few popcorn kernels in the shaker will break it up with a good shake.
I have had powder too damp before and you cant re-dry in the dehydrator "imagine that cloud in the house!" I spread it out on a baking sheet in the oven, very low temp. just enough to sorta re-dry it. Worked like a charm!
Kevin

gotta use 'em powders fast. the flavor and essences go bad real quick. unless you vacuum seal them every time you use 'em.

if the containers you use have good seals you shouldnt have much of a problem. like a rubber seal or even the canning jars w/lid w/the rubber seal.

That sounds like what commercial makers would do. I'm sure there is something cheap to do that will make it unclump

for a very cheap home remedy you can use dried white rice to help soak up moisture & at the same time the rice rattles around in the bottle to help break up clumps.
or go buy anti-caking ingredients from www.americanspice.com

Back