• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake First Taste of SuperHot Powder

A week or two ago, I got a chance to taste some superhot powders for the first time, courtesy of some extra goodies that member "patrick" was kind enough to generously include with some seeds.
thanks.gif

One of the baggies had a strong odor that reminded me of a weird cross pepper I grew once that disagreed with me, so I opted to try the Naga Morich one first.

Hearing that these new superhots were a whole new level above the chocolate habs & such that I was used to (and fondly remembering a particularly gnarly smoked, death-defying :flamethrower: C. Pub. powder I had the pleasure of trying years back), I decided to exercise an abundance of caution.

So for taste testing, I decided on a spoonful of shredded cheese, with some powder sprinkled on top, the idea being slowly chewing on the cheese, in order to gauge / fully enjoy both the heat level and flavor.

I found the Naga Morich powder to be a "biting" hot, with a strong effect on the roof of my mouth. I also noted a distinct absence of the "back of the throat heat" typically seen in habs & C. chinense peppers!

I also noticed a lack of discernible flavor (or if it did have any flavor, it was so subtle as to be undetectable above the taste of the mild cheese) - just heat! It was like a Super-Sized, chinense-level hot version of Cayenne Pepper powder!

Most importantly, while it was "respectably" hot, it was NOT as hot as I had steeled myself for!

Had my apprehension about these new superhots caused my mind to over-estimate the heat? :think: Perhaps these guys were not quite as deadly as I had imagined!

Feeling brave, I decided to try the other one now, this time with more powder! :doh:

This one was labeled "7 pods" (not sure of the kind of, perhaps patrick will chime-in and tell us).

The flavor was strong, and was a bit reminiscent of the weird hybrid I didn't care for, but the overall experience of this pepper more than made up for it!

The heat was again respectable, but as I was chewing the cheese, I thought to myself...

This one's (heat) is not that bad, either!
Then, as I was enjoying this pepper, the heat unexpectedly, rapidly increased out of control, like someone had ignited the first stage of an H-bomb! :fireball:

The heat accelerated almost faster than my reaction time - in the split-second it took for me to realize what had happened and try to swallow the cheese, this pepper then suddenly KICKED the back of my throat so hard, it became almost impossible to swallow! :mouthonfire: I just BARELY managed to get the cheese down without choking in the process! :eek:

Yep, this pepper's got some "kick" to it! ;)

But as fun & interesting as this taste-test was, it turned-out it was just the warm-up game for what was yet to come...

For on Friday night, I got my first taste of fresh superhot pods! :fireball: Will be writing-up something about that experience shortly - so stay tuned! ;)

Back