• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds First time from seed

Capsicum

Banned
I have long grown started plants from greenhouses. I planted some Poinsettia seeds and I am now seeing why I never started from seed as I know I have to keep them 80 degrees and now when they start do I really need lights or just a sunny window and some reg house lights to keep it vegging? This will be the only variety I will grow from seed as I just do not have the room inside for a light set up and those plants I get from the greenhouse are extremely vigorus and very well priced!! :cool:

Do they have to be 80f all the time or can they get a little cool at night then back up to 80 in the day?

I'm not sure about Poinsettia seed temps. But I will have to say they probably don't have the same fussyness of trying to germ. a superhot seed. I would think a temperature rest at night would be alright. Dependent on the temp that it is going to drop too. If it was 80 during the day and dropped to 65-70 at night, I think that would be fine. I mean if you think about it, in nature, the weather doesn't stay 80 degrees 24/7 ;) Anything above frost point would be fine. It might slightly hinder how long it will take your seeds to germinate but will not stop them from germing.

Keep the soil moist while germing. Don't let it dry out completely. Bottom watering is recommended. Once they pop, a windowsill will work. If you want supplemental light, get a lamp and buy a daylight rated CFL around 26W and plug it in over head. I don't really know what your main goal is with this plant but just the basics will get you going until spring plant out.

Back