First time growing peppers - White Habanero's in Bali

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some help/advice?

This is my first time growing peppers after being pulled in by my friends who have been growing for the last year or so (they dont seem to be doing so well so i'm going to give it a crack)

I live in Bali Indonesia and we are currently in the rainy season where temps are around a constant 30 degrees. The problem we have is when it rains it rains big time which i guess can be very damaging to the plants? Dry season usually takes over in April/May with averaging temps of between 25 and 30 degreess.

I have decided to start them off inside under lights as my windows dont let in much light due to various other trees keeping the house shady and cool. When the rain finishes i will then harden the plants off and put them in the garden

Firstly I put 23 White Habanero seeds in damp tissue in a small lunch box and placed them in one of my high up kitchen cupboards. After 5 days i was very surprised to see that they had all germinated and the roots were between 1 and 3 cm's long. I have now potted them and placed them in 2 boxes with each of the boxes having a 42 watt 6500k CFL light dangling 4- 6 inches above. each plant is now at least 2cm's high with the both seed leaves.

Firstly is this enough light to keep them happy?

Secondly how much and how often should i be watering them or should i just spray them (i am using a magicgro soilless media and each individual seedling is in its own 330 ml drinking cup)?

Any help and also any other tips for growing in Indonesia would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

:welcome: 
[SIZE=14pt]Way to grow your ½ way as you have seeds germinating and in soil. Now you just have to keep them from dampening off and dying. For this you need a gently air movement, not too much water and good lighting. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Pepper seedlings need some air circulation, at least until they develop their second set of leaves, and a small fan can help circulate the air, to control any damping off fungus.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Habanero peppers need well-drained soil. The plants cannot tolerate sitting in too much water. Prevent this by using quick-draining soil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Habanero plants do not require a lot of water. Do not water too often--overwatering causes stress to the plants and results in smaller pepper yields. Water the plant only when the top of the soil is dry to the touch. You can see if you have enough lighting by the seedling and the way it grows. If it starts to get leggy and tall you need more light. It’s all trial and error until you get a few grows under your belt. I have killed many a seedling starting out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Habaneros [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]especially, absolutely will need calcium many times during the growing season, in the form of bone meal, a few Tablespoon sper plant.[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] Scatter the bone meal around each plant, and water in. You can tell when you need calcium if the plants stop growing and if young leaves start to pucker---they are running out of calcium to build new leaves.[/SIZE]

Thanks a lot the above answer, was very helpful.

I now ave a small fan on low blowing a gentle breeze across the top...

I am finding it very difficult to find bone meal in Indonesia, i have been to most gardening stores and they don't have it.

Is it possible to use diluted milk instead as i have read this can also be a good supply of calcium? If so can i use baby powdered milk?

Cheers.

Powder up some egg shells or shellfish shells (though they take a long time to become available to the plants)

I use cal-mag plus in the small pots, oyster shells tilled in the garden.

Thanks for the above info guys, the fan seams to be working a treat!!! They all look so far so good.

I'm looking into eggshells and kelp - any suggestions on prepping either? (egg - bacteria, kelp - salt)

Back