• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor First time indoor grower.

Hi all, this is my first time growing indoors. I got some advice from another member (Redeemer). I plan to grow in my basement which is about 58° - 60°F.

This is my plan...

Buy a shelf, use 2 levels for plants. Use heat mats and a T5 6500K light to keep them warm. I also plan to enclose the sides with something, maybe cardboard and tin foil.

Pics, because everyone likes pics and it's easier than reading!

ETA: Pics removed and updated below...

So does this sound like a viable plan?

Is THIS light OK for a 21'' x 11'' tray? Any other budget friendly light suggestions?

Many thanks thanks!

Yeah everything looks good to me. Pretty close to what i used to start my seeds.Except i use T8 6500k lights, but works just the same. Im lucky enough to have radiant heat in the form of cast iron radiators in my house so i usually just germ my seeds on top of them since in the wintertime they keep an even constant temp and i dont have to use any extra energy.

Not sure on the price range you were looking for for the shelves but you can get decent steel shelves pretty cheap. $50 or so. Thats what i paid for mine and its 48" wide X24" deep and 72" tall with five adjustable shelves which works out great for adjusting light distance as your plants grow

That sounds great. I will definitely look into metal shelves if the price isn't crazy. Makes sense, I can see the plastic shelf encased in card board going up like a roman candle in my basement... no good!

So I got it all ordered today, should be here by end of next week!  :dance:

List:
  • Adjustable Steel Wire Metal Shelving (82" x 48" x 18")
  • T5 Grow Light (4 ft. / 4 Lamps) HO Fluorescent 
  • Germination Station with Heat Mat
  • Indoor Temp/Humidity Monitor
  • 7-Day Digital Program Timer
  • Adjustable Grow Light Rope Hanger
  • Heat Mat Thermostat
  • Mylar Thermal Blankets
  • 3'' Square Starter Trays
Total was $425.66 with (x2) on the lights, heat mats, germination station and mat temp regulators. I can send an itemized list with links if anyone is interested.

My plan is to have two of the germination stations with heat mats under one light. That will give me 144 spots for seeds. Whatever plants sprout and look healthy will move to another shelf in 3'' square trays. The whole metal shelving unit will get encased in Mylar emergency blankets with a door on the front.

Here are some pics because everyone likes pics!  ;)

Back