First time pepper grower in Japan

Hi,

I'm a long time pepper lover, but (almost) first time grower based in the Tokyo area in Japan. The climate here is subtropical, and Google tells me that it is roughly equivalent to US plant hardiness zone 10a.

Over the last few seasons I've enjoyed making my own fermented hot sauces from store-bought peppers, and this year i decided it was time to try growing several peppers in pots. I have a very small garden area with a wood deck where I have set up several peppers all bought as seedlings from various garden / home centers. I have 15 pots in total, all fairly small. My goal is to try out several different varieties to see which ones work best for me and are the tastiest, not necessarily to try and get a huge harvest.

Among the varieties I have are some "standard" ones like Jalapeno, Habanero and Scotch Bonnet. I also have some common domestic varieties (which are obviously the easiest to find seedlings for around here). This includes Takanotsume, which is very commonly used in chili powders, Ogon pepper, a yellow variety that is among the spicier of the Japanese variants as well as Okinawa chili peppers (Called Shima-togarashi or Koregusu), which are similar to small thai chilies.

The peppers are mostly doing good, but I've starting running into some issues on a few of the plants, so I figured it was time to join this forum and try to find some advise. I will post about that separately.

Back