• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First time post

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I am new to pepper growing and decided to buy some to plant in my garden this year. I bought a few of the common peppers (jalapeno, habanero...) but also found a guy locally selling bhut jolokia and a white habanero seedlings. I bought a few of these but their leaves are turning yellow and brown. I will admit, I believe I over watered these when I first got them, but I am not sure if that's the only problem. The dirt also started getting white fuzz on it. Is this due to over watering? Here are a few pics:

2saf580.jpg

10r07m8.jpg

v8eo0o.jpg

n6ruh0.jpg

What would you recommend I do to help these out? Should I pick the bad leaves? Fertalize?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Tyson

It sounds like you have some mold growing. From my experience it is due to over watering. Try spraying some chamomile tea in there. Do you have a fan on those plants yet? It helps thicken up the stalk and would help with your mold situation

Those look wet, do you have drainage in the cups (a must). Let them dry out, if they wilt a little bit you'll know they're thirsty.

And :welcome: to THP from Central CA

You have to be careful with seedlings for sale, as they come from unknown conditions. In many cases they haven't been hardened off. Case in point, the white and brown discoloration you mention looks like the leaves have been sun bleached. If you've been putting your seedlings outside, or even near a sunny window, that's probably the culprit. Ease them into direct sunlight and they should recover fine.

Also, welcome to the forums. :woohoo:

Thanks for the advice and the welcome!

synclinorium said:
You have to be careful with seedlings for sale, as they come from unknown conditions. In many cases they haven't been hardened off. Case in point, the white and brown discoloration you mention looks like the leaves have been sun bleached. If you've been putting your seedlings outside, or even near a sunny window, that's probably the culprit. Ease them into direct sunlight and they should recover fine.

Also, welcome to the forums. :woohoo:
I was worried about this as well. They have been on my table in front of my siding glass door but with no direct sunlight. I'll move them back a bit.

logchief said:
Those look wet, do you have drainage in the cups (a must). Let them dry out, if they wilt a little bit you'll know they're thirsty.

And :welcome: to THP from Central CA
The bhut's do. The guy I bought these from said to water them from the bottom and not from the top. Is this really going to make a difference? I'll add some to the habanero.

One more question..I already have some Miracle Grow vegetable and flower soil. Would this be good to transplant them into or should I get something else?

Sorry for the newb questions. Gotta start somewhere right?

Thanks again!

A lot of members here go for Promix and stay away from Miracle grow. I probably tried 5 different potting mixes this year so the results are to be determined. Great raves on this site for Promix so I had to pick up a few bags (expensive though). Good that you have drainage. I also used same cups you used. I don't really think it matters watering from top or bottom. My issues with watering from bottom was that I had a lot of extra water and basically it was a mess for me to clean up. I just use a sprayer and squirt the soil enough so its not dry but not soaked. Every 2-3 days I water(depending on how much the plant soaks up). It isn't a bad thing to ask questions. It is a way to learn and this site has plenty of help.

Back