• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First time using superhots - planning a sauce, opinions wanted

So, planning a new hot sauce.
Ive got 5 ghosts in the freezer that I want to use in a new mash I intend to ferment. To go along with them in the mash Im planning on doing baby carrots (because theyre what I have on hand), garlic, red bell peppers, and some jalapeños.

Having never used superhots, bell pepper, or carrot, Id like some opinions on ratios to use in order to make a decently spicy sauce. I am already planning on using a fair amount of garlic.

I've gotten decent heat from ferments with these ratios:

3-5 parts superhot peppers (reapers, jigsaws, or moruga scorpions)
14-20 parts Fresno peppers
7-9 parts carrots
1-2 parts garlic

These ratios yielded sauces that are OK hot, but not very hot. Maybe 10-15 times hotter than tabasco.

If I were in your shoes, I'd increase the ratio of superhots for two reasons: 1.ghost peppers aren't as hot, 2. you are adding red bell peppers, too.

Decently spicy differs from person to person. Do you wanna use it to laugh when your friends can't enjoy it the way you do? Do you want the flavor of the super to come through but the heat to be something most would call hot but not miserable?

Ruid said:
Decently spicy differs from person to person. Do you wanna use it to laugh when your friends can't enjoy it the way you do? Do you want the flavor of the super to come through but the heat to be something most would call hot but not miserable?
Decently spicy would be at least few times hotter than Tabasco.

For me, "decently spicy" is "too hot to sell to the average person, but not the hottest thing a hot-sauce-shop would have (not including the "challenge" sauces)."

Not as hot as Scorpion Tabasco. Scorpion Tabasco is a fair bit too hot for me to use regularly. Then again, I've only had it straight, on food it might be manageable for me.

I have used as little as 2 or 3 fatalii in 2 gallons of sauce for 3/10 spiciness. For what you have, using all the peppers in a half gallon jar sized ferment will give a good spice level. If, at the end, it's not as hot as you want, you can add a couple more when processing.

Back