• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

first try growing chillis (update)

well its been around 3 weeks since my first seeds germinated and thought id post a update... also have changed my setup alot since then.

here is a video of my new setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Picbyn0bQV4

is this a normal size for a 3 week old bhut jolokia ?

img0130xi.jpg

img0131mx.jpg

also i notice some of my smaller plants that are just sprouting there first true leaves have a yellowish color to the true leaves... is this due to over watering ?

Looks like you are doing well. Imo that Bhut Jolokia is looking great. It doesn't look like you overwater. I'm wondering if the light intensity is too much for some of them.

Looks about three weeks to me & healhy, are misting or watering direct to the roots?

Mezo.
i do a little of both as i am not sure what is the best way.

its good to hear there growing at a normal rate ... i was a little worried when i seen my tomato plants shoot past them.

i awoke today to find my temp in my hydro tent got up to 38c and killed around 25 newly sprouted harbanero's and bhut jolokias :cry:

i think it was the fact that the tent got upto 38 c / 104 f

plus they were on a heat mat ... so they pretty much got cooked

img0132dq.jpg

thats a pic of me hoping some water might save a few :(

but fortunately i was working on my new setup and this one only has a heat mat for a heat source and a 15 watt grow light that gives out no heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf6Kqw6jJM

plus i have a small hydro grow box on a heat mat with 5 species germinating

img0134ml.jpg

but still sucked to awake and find almost all my new plants dead :(

Are you just practising for our winter, or really trying to grow some chilli plants?
If you are trying to actually grow some, being that it's summer here, all you need is a window sill, plenty of light and heat naturally available this time of year for us.
Though it's a bit late to start now, so it would be fair to assume you may just be doing practice runs? Not sure though...

My Caribbean Red seedlings first set of true leaves came in yellow at first but then quickly went to green. It's the only variety of my seedlings that had done that. They look healthy to me so I didn't worry about it.

Are you just practising for our winter, or really trying to grow some chilli plants?
If you are trying to actually grow some, being that it's summer here, all you need is a window sill, plenty of light and heat naturally available this time of year for us.
Though it's a bit late to start now, so it would be fair to assume you may just be doing practice runs? Not sure though...
yea trying my best to get some plants growing in a hydro tent :( guess i can try put some on a window ledge. are you saying they wont produce as well now that its a bit late or they wont grow as well ?

i thought being in a hydro tent they will produce year round ?

How did things work out on the growing front? did you manage to get hold of some plants?

Mezo.

Back