• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First try with Easy Fermenter lids

36.8oz of Dole slaw mix. Mostly green cabbage with a little carrot and red cabbage.
21grams of Korean sun dried sea salt for weeping (2% by weight)
2 grams for a little kick start brine using one of my best kraut juices and bottled water
Tiny bit of sugar for the kick start. Less than a 1/2 tsp.
1 TBS Korean grown pepper flakes. This one is hot and stupid expensive for Korean pepper powder.
2 Qt Mason sterilized
Easier Fermenter lid
Kraut packer or sterilized glass bottle. I got a kraut packer.

Weep slaw mix in the salt for a couple hours. Stirring every 30min.
After 2hrs add pepper flakes and mix it in really good
Pack it down tight in the Mason a few ounces at time until all the slaw mix is in the jar.
Put on the lid and vacuum out the air.
Basically forget about it for 10days at room temp. Then into the fridge when its sour for a month or more. It usually pretty good within a month but i love long cool fermented cabbage best. It stays really crunchy a long time.

3 bags of the slaw mix should leave enough head space after weeping it. 1 14oz bag was the regular mix and the other 2 11.4oz bags had the dressing packs with a little red cabbage in the mix. Hoping to have about an inch of space left. I normally get 3 of the 14oz bags but somehow grabbed 2 of the others also.

F6BEBti.jpg

aaN1Nbh.jpg

KqsvlqS.jpg

I did some red cabbage kraut about a month ago. Just red cabage, sliced ghost peppers and salt. I added some brine since I hand cut the cabbage so it was a bit chunky. I also added 1tsp liquid from a jar of kimchi to get it going. Turned out amazingly well.

50268302547_7abfe7e49d_c.jpg

I did this same this afternoon but with green cabbage and my newly acquired mandoline. There are only a couple slivers of skin in there :) Added 4 sliced bahamian goats to the cabbage and also did the top up with brine but needed much less this time. 1.3kg cabage fits perfectly into a half gallon jar with a little persuasion. No point showing the bottle as its brown so you can't see anything!

Head space ended up more than i like. Partially due to the 2 smaller bags of slaw mix. So i crammed what i could in a quart jar. Packed that sucker down super tight. I better double check my notes to see if it was 3 or 4 14oz bags next time. Could have sworn 3 bags was about perfect in a 2 quart jar. The little bit that would not fit went into a previous spicy kraut ferment. It was super sour so it should be fine.

Removed the air lock from another pepper ferment and added the Easy lid. As i was using the pump tons of bubbles started coming out of the pods. It was doing fine i just swapped lids real fast.

12 Brown supers (Mystery pepper sold as Reaper seeds to Lewis)
12 Death Spiral
5 Numex Orange
1 really large sweet red bell
2 Tbs Korean sea salt
1 Tsp sugar
2 cups of bottled water 5.9pH
2 Tbs homemade kraut juice
1 Tbs Champagne vinegar 7%

Coarse chopping them supers about killed me. The fumes were flat out brutal. Packed each layer down with my kraut packer into a quart jar. Added a glass weight and the full 2 cups of brine fit. The bell and Numex will add some bulk to the finished product and give the lacto more sugars to much on. The salt should be about 28grams so the % is a few grams over a 5% brine. I didnt weigh it this time but i did weigh the salt before to get my conversion from tbs to grams. Its 14ish per tbs.

So far im very impressed with these lids. No yeast or mold. My Scorpion and Death Spiral ferment is over 60day now and nothing is on top of the brine.

Back