• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Year Noob

I finally grew tired of buying nursery starts of boring 'ol mild chile's and Jalapeño plants as well as wasting money on mediocre habanero pods from grocery stores. And since I've been gardening most of my life, I figured it was time to try my hand at a pepper garden from seed. Thankfully I found this forum awhile ago and tried out one of the vendors; Refining Fire Chile's (Original post: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69512-refining-fire-chiles/?view=findpost&p=1617287).

With a small budget, I purchased two Sansi 40W full spectrum grow lights, two light sockets, seedling starting trays, a Vivosun 20" x 20" heat mat, and an Ohuhu heat mat thermostat. I built an adjustable wood rack to hold the lights from some scrap pine, made an oak plywood base to put the heat mat on and began my seeds using two methods.

For the first batch I softened the seeds and planted them in the seed trays with FoxFarm Ocean Forest potting soil. I chose this because of the ground shells, worm casings and bat poo. Plus a local nursery sold the 1.5y bags for $10 and some change.

For the second batch I used the damp paper towel method inside zip-lock bags. I like this method because I can monitor the seed germination more easily. However the soil produced quicker growth. Far better than soils I've used for garden veggies over the years. I might stick with this FoxFarm blend for awhile since I'm happy with it so far.

As mentioned in my vendor post, I purchased:
-Aji Pineapple (I love citrus flavors)
-MOA Scotch Bonnet (Because they rock)
-Bahamian Goat
-Orange Pepperoncini (To pickle for my wife)
-Trinidad Perfume (Gotta have a mild pepper once in awhile)

Freebies in my order included:
-Aji Guyana (Really excited about these)
-El Rito (New to me)
-Alba Regia (Should be a nice, mild pepper to snack on)

Additionally, I harvested seeds last year from:
-Orange Habanero
-Golden Ghost Pepper (These were fantastic and about as hot as I prefer to go on a regular basis)
-Red Bhut Jolokia (This should be interesting since it grew all season up against Cherry Bomb, Habanero and Jalepeno plants so cross pollination was very high)

The Aji Guyana all germinated overnight in the damp paper towel.. I was blown away by how quick they sprouted. The rest took 4-8 days to start emerging from the soil. Two problem growers were the Bahamian Goat, which I've had to pull the seed off the leaves on most of them, and the Trinidad Perfume, which took 10+ days to start germinating and have had a 20% success rate of becoming seedlings. I currently have 2 of these growing very slowly from 15 seeds.Hopefully at least one plant matures.

So as of now, in less than 3 weeks I have pepper seedlings growing out my ears with the El Rito and Orange Pepperoncini growing the quickest and healthiest, both Aji's and the MOA are right behind them. I think there are nearly 50 seedlings growing on the heat mat maintaining 76-81 degrees with both lights about 15" above them running 14-16 hours a day. About 10 of these have grown 4 leaves now.

I will post updates periodically as I learn my way through growing a pepper garden under grow lights. It'll be nice using this to track my progress for future reference as well.

Images include:
Lights & thermostat
A tray of seedlings
Aji Guyana seeds after 36 hours
All the seedlings crammed on the heat mat
Orange Pepperoncini and El Rito plants starting their second set of leaves
A happy little MOA

Attachments

• Lighting.JPG
    Lighting.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Tray.JPG
    Tray.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Seeds.JPG
    Seeds.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 107
  • All.JPG
    All.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 101
  • OrngPpprncni & ElRito.JPG
    OrngPpprncni & ElRito.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 103
  • MOA.JPG
    MOA.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 101
Hi Jacob... :welcome:
Very nice selection ..Aji Guyana & Bahamian Goat  are 2 of my favorites...tasty/medium heat & can be used for sauce/crushed/powder etc.
I would bring the light a bit  closer if not your seedlings will become leggy,and adjust  it as they grow.

Helmet head...I gave a mist or 2 to those hard to remove seed coats  to help  soften & many times they  come off easily...without damage.
Good luck. ;)

wiriwiri said:
Hi Jacob... :welcome:
Very nice selection ..Aji Guyana & Bahamian Goat  are 2 of my favorites...tasty/medium heat & can be used for sauce/crushed/powder etc.
I would bring the light a bit  closer if not your seedlings will become leggy,and adjust  it as they grow.

Helmet head...I gave a mist or 2 to those hard to remove seed coats  to help  soften & many times they  come off easily...without damage.
Good luck. ;)

Thanks for the pointer. I've come across that before, but somehow failed to implement it. I moved the lights down to about 8" or 9" above the peppers. Doing this has the peppers on the outside of the mat a little less bright, but they still seem to be receiving plenty of light. I'll rotate them around each day to mix up the amount of light they get. Plus I think the frequent movement, along with occasional 'brushing', will help strengthen them.

I knew there would be a term for the stuck seed coat. I'll try misting it with warm water next time since unfortunately I have broken a seedling trying to get a stubborn shell off.

Sizzle Lips said:
Good luck on your grow...your off to a good start

Thank you. Gardening is one of my ways to relax, so expanding this indoors has opened a whole new door. I think it's driving my wife crazy, though. :lol:

Alright, another denizen of the PNW!
:welcome: to TheHotPepper, OG!

Refining Fire has great seeds.
I've had some good stuff from
him.

Nice batch of starts. All looking
healthy and eager! Good luck to
you this season!

I realized I havent posted an update due to planning to moving. The peppers were moved a lot to accommodate showing our house to sale. We didnt want any suspicious looking plants under grow lights. LoL Their temporary home was really hot and they kept drying out, but every single one survived the temporary relocation. I also had to add a 4th light for better coverage. As soon as we settle in the new home, theyll find their way into containers and garden boxes.

Overall I ended up with 49 viable plants, even 3 of the Trinidad Perfume plants made it, although they are extremely stubborn and quite smaller than the others. The pictured shriveled plant even pulled through 100% and is budding. The El Ritos took off quickest so there are multiple small peppers growing already, but nearly every variety has multiple plants budding.

Attachments

• 5D6A7D2B-0529-4A25-B225-055F3C0155F1.jpeg
    5D6A7D2B-0529-4A25-B225-055F3C0155F1.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 94
  • E99C8BCB-0216-4B67-A540-75CA84ADCA4E.jpeg
    E99C8BCB-0216-4B67-A540-75CA84ADCA4E.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 94
  • B21A8A57-6E25-4482-91B6-95A1D85C256E.jpeg
    B21A8A57-6E25-4482-91B6-95A1D85C256E.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 96
Plants look good in spite of the moving and
sequestering they have been going through.

Good luck getting settled in to your new digs
and getting your plants planted into their containers
and boxes.

Back