• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fish/Seaweed Fertilizer

So I have been researching and looking into different types of organic fertilizers and thought the following was very interesting regarding fish fertilizers. I guess they are not all made equal. I picked up a bottle of the Neptunes Harvest Fish/Seaweed fertilizer and I am really stoked to see how my plants react to it.

Anyways.. this is directly from their website.

Neptune's Harvest...
Uses several species of fish
Neptune's Harvest is made from several species of edible North Atlantic Fish remains (the part that is left after the fillet is removed for human consumption). Several species are better, because each species has a different nutrients analysis profile, so you get a full range of nutrients, vitamins, amino acids, enzymes and growth hormones. We mix all the Hydrolyzed Fish in a 10,000-gallon mixing tank before it is pumped into holding tanks. This process ensures a very consistent product from day to day and year to year. The fish we use are caught a minimum of three miles from shore and usually much further, in the icy, clean waters of the North Atlantic.

Emulsions...
One type of fish (trash fish)

Emulsions are made from so-called "Trash Fish" (fish that Americans won't eat), usually Menhaden is used. Menhaden is caught in harbors and rivers on the coast and are exposed to coastal pollutants. Also, lake fish used could contain Mercury and PCB's.

Neptune's Harvest...
No offensive odor
Neptune's Harvest unloads fishing boats, cuts the fish, grinds the fish remains and stabilizes them all the same day, so there is no offensive odor. Fresh fish does not smell

Emulsions... Stink!

Neptune's Harvest...
Cold processed
Neptune's Harvest is cold processed all the way from start to finish. The fish is converted through the grinding process and by the naturally occurring enzymes that continually break down the fish into a liquid. These enzymes are still alive in our final product as well, so they are there to keep your soil alive. We then screen it to take out any remaining bone particles. Nothing else is removed from the product, and the only thing added is phosphoric acid to stabilize. It is more expensive than sulfuric or formic acid, but it is safer to use for our employees and yours and is something the plant needs anyway. This is why our phosphorus is higher than fish emulsions, on the analysis.

Emulsions...
Cooked
Emulsions first remove the fish meal (protein) part of the fish and sell that for pet food. Then they remove oils from the fish for Codfish Liver Oil or related procedures. Whatever is left after these processes is then boiled down to a 50% solution and sold as a fertilizer. This process has two major problems. First, the steam they use to remove the meal from the fish frame comes from municipal water, which contains chlorine. When the product is boiled down to a 50% solution, the chlorine is doubled and can be as high as 14% in the final product. Second, no matter what anyone tells you, you cannot evaporate a liquid down to a 50% solution without the use of heat. Once heat is used, all the heat sensitive vitamins, amino acids, growth hormones and the enzymes are destroyed. Some companies add enzymes back into the product so they can call it a hydrolyzed process, but technically it is far from it, and is actually just a hydrolyzed emulsion. Note: Fish naturally contain approximately 2.3% Nitrogen, it must be boiled down (or evaporated). Therefore it has been heated, no matter what the salesperson try's to tell you, the heat sensitive components from the fish are gone. The only other possibility is that it has added Nitrogen from other sources.

Neptune's Harvest...
No oils removed

Neptune's Harvest is screened through an 80 mesh screen going into the holding tank and then a 200 micron screen going into the drums or 4500 gallon tanker truck. It is the consistency of chocolate milk and is very easy to apply.

Emulsions...
Oils removed

Emulsions are thick, having the consistency of molasses. They are hard to handle and notorious for clogging sprayers and getting stuck in holding tanks. Because they are so thick, farmers often can't pump it all from their tanks, especially toward the bottom.

Neptune's can't be beat. When I'm not able to make my own fish based nutrients, I always go with Neptune. The seaweed makes a great foliar spray.

this is just PR stuff? probably from their website?

also i love how they claim that "chlorine" gets concentrated into some sort of dangerous concentration when it is in a fetid bath of dead fish.
hilarious.

I had a great deal last summer. The restaurant I worked at went through a lot of seafood, so I had plenty of scraps to take home with me. All of our fish came to the restaurant packed in fresh seaweed and ice to boot. I ended up taking home 10 gallons a week of seaweed and just tilling it right into the soil. My plants should love it this summer.

Read up on "auxin" then you will truly understand the benefits of seaweed based fertilizer.

Yessir, there is a reason why Giant Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera ) can grow up to 2 feet (0.6m) per day, under ideal conditions.

Last year I made my own. It seemed to make my plants a little leggy, but they filled out eventually​

2012-05-27_21-42-57_687.jpg

I may have to take my kids to the beach to get some more this year, maybe it will stretch out my winters.​

theres a far easier way to give your plants growth hormones, if thats what you are into.

http://mbferts.com/Plant-Growth-Hormones-Plants-Hormone-PGR-PGRS_c14.htm

no muss, no fuss.

Yessir, there is a reason why Giant Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera ) can grow up to 2 feet (0.6m) per day, under ideal conditions.

Last year I made my own. It seemed to make my plants a little leggy, but they filled out eventually​

I may have to take my kids to the beach to get some more this year, maybe it will stretch out my winters.​

Hats off mon, I'm making my own as well, just a few more weeks and my first batch will be done. I've also started using seaweed for ground cover but can't get enough lately cause beach clean up crews quickly take it away, lol. In summer we get much more where I live so I'm not worried. I also believe as others have stated, this reeks of marketing spam ...

You seem to get more stretch using the powders. Just my personal experience. Using hormones, with the right knowledge produces huge plants though.

Hormones are cheap, no real need to go out and make your own, you just need to know how to use them.

I only make my own because its, free and easy. What can I say, I'm a cheapskate :shh:

The good thing about powders, they don't expire as fast as what I make. I sorta do it just for the novelty anyway.
Sorta cool knowing you can make something like that. Same with vermiculture, castings are cheap, but making them is fun.

One good thing about making your own stuff is, you know whats going in to it, and you learn a lot in the process. Having fun and learning, that's what its all about right?

Because if its cheaper its better for you and your plants right ??? ..... ummm think I'll still stick with natural slightly less convenient additives and plant feeds and maybe make do perhaps with slightly smaller plants ...

2012-05-27_21-42-57_687.jpg

My wife is pretty understanding but think she would do her pickle if she came home and seen a giant hanging roof boogey like that. Plus I think it would actually make her crap her pant's in sheer terror. hhhhmmmm.....mischevious plan me thinks!

My wife is pretty understanding but think she would do her pickle if she came home and seen a giant hanging roof boogey like that. Plus I think it would actually make her crap her pant's in sheer terror. hhhhmmmm.....mischevious plan me thinks!

Umm........................."do her pickle"?

One of the kids that works at the local hydro shop swears by Neptune's Harvest stuff. I'm thinking the cold processed seaweed would be good to feed the mycorrhizae.

Umm........................."do her pickle"?

One of the kids that works at the local hydro shop swears by Neptune's Harvest stuff. I'm thinking the cold processed seaweed would be good to feed the mycorrhizae.

Translates - cry, scream, panic or breakdown, in no particular order! Sorry just something we say.

Back