Florida Growers - Do you have ripe pods?

I am following the story of someone in Florida who can not seem to get pods to ripen up.  I'd though Florida would be a great place to grow.  Does the climate there cause it to take longer for pods to ripen?  Maybe too hot or wet?

Good question.  I always assumed Florida would be nearly ideal.
A typical summer high of ~90 shouldn't (?) shut down flowering like 100+ does here in Az.
About the only drawback I can think of is the humidity, which might encourage bacterial and fungal problems

I picked a couple today.

The person may have started them late. The first batch always seems to take forever... but then once they start you get pods clear on till january, new plants go in the ground in feb usually here in my part of Fl (Western Central fl).

Ya I have lots of problems. I get about 5 pods out of 5 plants. I get flowers but they drop shortly after the flower browns and shrivels. The plants have really green and leathery leaves. Think some may have broadmite damage but not sure. Not sure what to do anymore. It's been in the upper 80s and 100% humid.

Angie

Have also read lots of Florida growers using shade cloth.  Not saying climate change is mane mad.  Not saying it is not man made.  Just seems that plants that originated even further south should probably not be suffering from the heat there.  OK republicans, trash me for saying climate change is reality.  OK democrats, trash me for not saying it is man made.

Shoot. January and February are the only 'cold' months here. And then we are only talking about 40's average temp.

I've got plants starting to flower that I'm looking forward to podding.

And three hours south is Miami. They usually don't get below mid 50's from what I hear.

I'm here in north Fl.  i have had great yield out of my Hab and serranos this year.  Choc Bhut finally giving me some pods but i planted them late. Still waiting for my reaper though!!  

I'm in miami, as south and hot as you can go really, and I've had pods ripening all summer and even now.  Less flowers set on some plants, but it varies. aji pineapple has always had peppers as well as my brazilian starfish. I'm just now getting some cream fatalii on the plant, will hopefully ripen in the next month 

TheBigB, the Carolina Reaper seems to be a very long season and they don't seem to play catch up like some plants do..

i haven't grown reapers so i couldn't tell you. wicked mike has some for sale so right now though so i suppose they could be grown 

I dont know about Florida, but they grow fine here in Kentucky.  They just take longer than many other peppers.  Been selling them for two months.  Other peppers, been selling for three or four months.  They just seem to take longer.  With a finite season, that means less production per space.

Back