• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Flour Tortillas

Havent done these in a long time.
Flour and yeast, I like using yeast, it makes the bread more chewy.

450gr flour
250ml water
80gr butter.

Will do corn tomorrow, I hope.

IMG_3418_Tortilla-1000.jpg

IMG_3417_Tortilla-1000.jpg

IMG_3422_Tortilla-1000.jpg

IMG_3430_Tortilla-1000.jpg

IMG_3429_Tortilla-1000.jpg

IMG_3435_Tortilla-1000.jpg

And she's back asking silly questions...

Here in DK we use 'live' yeast 99,5% of the time but I guess you mean 1/4 tsp of dried yeast?

I just looked up that a package of fresh yeast (50 grams) is equivalent to 12 grams of dried yeast so now I just have to figure out how much 1/4 tsp of dried yeast weighs so I'll know how much fresh yeast to use.

And she's back asking silly questions...

Here in DK we use 'live' yeast 99,5% of the time but I guess you mean 1/4 tsp of dried yeast?

I just looked up that a package of fresh yeast (50 grams) is equivalent to 12 grams of dried yeast so now I just have to figure out how much 1/4 tsp of dried yeast weighs so I'll know how much fresh yeast to use.
1/4 tsp of dry yeast comes out to ~1.5g. You can use much more than that, though, and still get good results. I would say up to 25g fresh would be ok. I use 6g yeast in my pitas, which would be one tsp, for example.

My personal preference is just flour, water, a bit of lard or oil, and salt. Knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball. The divide dough into equal parts, cover with a damp towel, and let them rest for at least half an hour (longer if you want a chewier texture as the gluten will continue to develop for quite some time). This gives the gluten time to relax some and will make rolling them out easier. Then just cook in a pan.

Some folks like to add baking powder (1 part baking soda, to 2 parts cream of tartar), but I don't find it necessary.

You can use this as a guide since it uses fresh yeast:

This is better:

Quantity of yeast basically dictates how long till it builds up to expand, I tend to use less , might take an extra hour but im in no rush. Also I like normally to ferment for 72 hours, lots of time to build up (in the fridge).

Quantity of yeast basically dictates how long till it builds up to expand, I tend to use less , might take an extra hour but im in no rush. Also I like normally to ferment for 72 hours, lots of time to build up (in the fridge).
That's a good point. If you're letting it hang out in the fridge for 72 hours, you really don't need/want too much yeast.

Back