• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flourescent light keeps going on and off

It's actually for my aquarium but my tube keeps going on and off. As soon as it goes off I hear the starter clicking to turn it on but it only stays on for a few seconds then repeats. Is it the bulb fixture or starter?

I would reccomend just buying the starter first as they are often the first to go (in my experience). and they are also cheaper to buy than the tube, if it works you've saved some coin if not you've got a new starter for when it DOES go.

jolokia_jas said:
I would reccomend just buying the starter first as they are often the first to go (in my experience). and they are also cheaper to buy than the tube, if it works you've saved some coin if not you've got a new starter for when it DOES go.

I hear them clicking and the light does go on. So shouldn't that mean they're ok?

If it is turning on full bright then turning off, it is either the starter or the ballast, not the tube.

chillilover said:
I hear them clicking and the light does go on. So shouldn't that mean they're ok?

If the tube does not light up fully (only one end or both and no middle glow) then it's the tube.

When I turn it on, it clicks, I see both end of the tube glow a dim red then then the light lights almost full bright, flickers and repeats every 2 seconds or so.

bulbs are usually the first thing you change out (cheapest).
Although, if you've had the fixture for atleast a couple of years then the ballast may be going out. Most ballasts that I've had to sell customers typically go out around 3 years (that's just a rough estimate).
Also, if you're getting inconsistant flickering...you may/not have a problem with the sockets (especially, if they're cracked or the bulbs fit loosely within the fixture).

chillilover said:
When I turn it on, it clicks, I see both end of the tube glow a dim red then then the light lights almost full bright, flickers and repeats every 2 seconds or so.

Replace the tube, if that doesn't fix the problem you'll have a spare you'll surely need soon anyway.

If the ballast is shot it will probably be more economical to buy a new fixture.

Back