Flower buds on smaller plants

Kind of a newbie question; I have a Datil pepper plant that is only about 16" tall that has decided to go into full on budding mode. Should I let it bud out, or pinch them off to allow more growth since most of the energy will go into fruit development. They have also been a bit stressed out with 10 days of rain straight into a very hot week in the 90's with no rain whatsoever. Any comments would be appreciated...Thanks

I tend to leave mine and here's why...
I live far enough north that i have a relatively short grow season compared to many of the growers here 
*however i start my seeds early enough that what i am doing may not even be necessary ;)
I have had multiple years back when i first started growing peppers here in us zone 4 that while i got many peppers on my plants, the cold nights came before they had a chance to ripen 
( have since saved my faves and ripened them indoors under HPS lighting. This comes with it's own problems *see Aphids and other pests)
 if i get a lot of rain and wind like i did this June 
(more wind than rain this late in the year, than last year if I recall correctly) 
I just hope that my extras bounce back and any late plants that hadn't even started acclimating yet can be put out, and may even become main plants, rather than late stragglers.

as far as pinching off flowers to grow bigger roots and a larger plant for long term gain
if you have the climate that can handle it and the commitment, then go for it! Trim them girls

but if you have a shorter grow season an don't want to have to bring a bunch of plants indoors (if it is even feasible) I say let em go
you will at the very least get enough peppers to try them and decide if they are even something you want to take the time with the next year :)

also see my Glog  to show how Bonnet-Bell hybrid (PL) among others 
{though Dilapidated due to both weather and our schedules}
was grown to fruit in 6x6" square planter pots :) indoors under T5 lighting :D

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64878-gips-2017-oh-hail-no-glog/page-2

whichever you choose to do, i wish you the best of luck on your grow 
:cheers:

Here's my put...if you want a bigger plant that IMO eventually will produce more, then pinch your buds...but if you want a plant that will stay small and produce through the summer, lettem' grow...as was said above it is simply up to you...

The reason I said bigger plant (the more nodes the more peppers) is that if you pinch the buds, the plant will put more energy into the growth phase of the cycle...also the fertilize ratios impact the vegetative (Nitrogen) phase or the flowering/fruiting state requiring more PK...

I have rambled enough...good luck on your grow...Datil's are the bomb....

AJ

What Alabama Jack said with emphasis on the word 'eventually'.  If looking for a bigger final harvest, then pinch early.  I -think- if you are looking for most weight over the entire season, then dont pinch. 

There is a gourd I grew last year.  It is called the Bushel Gourd.  If you pinch off all but one flower, the thing really does grow the size of a bushel basket.  Down right scary.  Like the gourd that ate the back yard.  I wanted something smaller, so I did not pinch and got basket balls.  Dozens and dozens of basket balls.  I -think- most plants work that way.

moruga welder said:
i'd let them rock on , but some will say opposite , so it'll eventually fall on you to decide which way to go ,     :party:

*It'll eventually be fall and you'll realize you pruned too late

SavinaRed said:
If you have a longer growing season then you might want to top or take off the buds but in a shorter season then leaves it alone. 
I am going to pinch the buds for now and considering I am in South Florida (Zone 10b) it should be ok. They got a little stressed out with 10 days of constant rain a little over a week ago and 3 had some spider mite issues. So I'd like to see them flourish a little bit more. Thanks for all your help everybody!

Back