• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flower drop due to temps ??

Weather has been especially chilly (50's ) last couple of nights , I go out this morning and was shocked to see so many flowers that had dropped off my plants .

My question is should I bring my plants in at night to hopefully stop the flower drops ??

I have 12 plants in 5 gallon pots and some plants are pretty big and I have no garage or basement , so I'm guessing my wife won't be thrilled to see me bring them into the dining room every night , lmao . Most are mature and have pods growing , got a couple that are behind though like my brain strain , was really a bummer to see so many buds drop off that one , since its was it just starting to come around .

I'd say bring em in if they are loosing much more flowers.
I hope your wifey isnt to pissed! :shh:    I'm really glad I happen to have a spare guest bedroom just for my plants hehe.
Best of luck to ya!

Yeah, bringing them in is the best bet. Just find somewhere out of the way to avoid annoying anyone.
Edit: blanket/tarp at night works well also. So does tying a seed tray heater around the pot.

I'm using pvc hoop tunnels to help keep warmer. I had to extend the height and width of mine this weekend. The plants outgrew the original hoop tunnel.  ReMay row covers will keep the crop a few degrees warmer too.

I'm no expert but plant flowers and Tomatillo plants to attract bees for pollination. The tomatillo plants had hundereds of yellow flowers and I had a ton of bumble bees hanging around.

Since it seems as though you have no space to overwinter them, meaning they will be done for the season soon, I see no harm in them dropping blooms and using their remaining days to grow existing peppers as much as possible.  In other words the plant won't be able to finish any peppers it starts from this point forward... though the weather has been odd for the last few years in the US so I can only go by averages.

It will help the plants to not subject them to sub-50F temperatures over night, but I wouldn't worry about bloom drop.

Back