• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

flower drop

hey guys!

my bhut is acting up a bit. It finally started to flower and then all of a sudden the flowers just fell off. Some new ones appeared a couple of days ago but they completely dried out by now.
I'm guessing the problem is phosphorus deficiency, because the stem and a few leaves are getting a bit purple-ish.
I've been fertilizing my plants for the past month or so once per 10 days with a bio tomato feed with NPK about 3-2-6
fert website - sorry it's in german.
I'm not sure what i should do - fertilize some more with this and risk nitrogen toxicity or find some other fertilizer? i've been looking all over for a fertilizer with NPK about 5-10-10 or something but couldn't find anything close. I did however find a kiwi feed with NPK 5-15-30 but that's a bit extreme right?

What do you think i should do?

thanks!

gday hollan.

bhuts tend to be a bit sensitive to weather (and many other things I would think) and do drop their flowers quite readily. so, nothing unusual from my experience. just be grateful when you finally get some pods!

I thought about excessive nutrients too but i've only fertilized it about 3 times in the last month with the fertilizer diluted in water way more than it says on the bottle. it also says to fertilize once a week. and i didn't put as much fert as it says on the bottle. All my other plants (about 20 or so, not bhuts) are doing fine. so i think it can't be overfertilizing. This particular bhut is also starting to bush out a bit more, so i really don't know what to think.
weather could be a problem, but the plants are inside. they're getting a lot of sun and have about 30°C(86°F) during the day and about 25°C(77°F) during the night. Is that too big of a difference? That still wouldn't explain the purplish stem and leaves, right?

thanks for the replies!

What are the day and night temps there? Use a bloom fert and be careful not to over water. If temps are ideal, the flowers will start sticking and producing pods!~ It might need more fert as well! I feed with dyna grow bloom 3-12-6

I thought about excessive nutrients too but i've only fertilized it about 3 times in the last month with the fertilizer diluted in water way more than it says on the bottle. it also says to fertilize once a week. and i didn't put as much fert as it says on the bottle. All my other plants (about 20 or so, not bhuts) are doing fine. so i think it can't be overfertilizing. This particular bhut is also starting to bush out a bit more, so i really don't know what to think.
weather could be a problem, but the plants are inside. they're getting a lot of sun and have about 30°C(86°F) during the day and about 25°C(77°F) during the night. Is that too big of a difference? That still wouldn't explain the purplish stem and leaves, right?

thanks for the replies!
purple is normal if its getting more bushy its still
SauceNpeppers 054.jpg
growing roots that would explain the blossom drop

Just to still his thunder, The Willard List:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Flower drop probable causes:[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]1. Day temp too high >95F[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]2. Night temp too low <65F[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]4. Too much water[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]8. Lack of pollinating insects.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]9. Size of pot [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]10. Too much mineral in feedwater.[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]With all due respect and mad props to Willard.[/background]

Hollan, :welcome: to THP

Back