• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flower/Pepper Drop

Checking things this morning and I found five pods of a Trinidad Scorpion on the ground. Each one of them had just dropped the dead flower and was the beginning of a pepper. The sixth pepper that dropped was over a quarter inch long. Depressing

Causes? Heat?

Thanks MrA.

What's strange is it isn't happening to any of the others. Oh an occasional one here and there but not like this. It did get hot yesterday but not above 90F. Real humid though. Strange.

I really can't give you any good advice since I've never realyy seen any pattern when I've had flowers drop. The only possible exception is when I planted in the ground, I don't think the roots ever got warm enough. Remember that I live in Jokkmokk, Sweden - look it up on Google maps and you'l see that it is as far north as the very north part of Alaska.

Patrick, I've seen this a lot on even very healthy plants. I think if plants are still growing vigorously they will sometimes drop flowers and put their nutrients into more growth. Fear not, as the plants get larger they will most definitely begin to pod more regularly. I think the plants are pretty smart, and often do drop some flowers when they could better use their resources getting bigger.

Thanks for taking me off the hook 5*. We always want to think it's something we've done or haven't done yet when things aren't perfect.

Back