• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

flower problems

What causes a flower/stem to turn yellow and fall off ? I'm having this problem with my habanero plants right now. One plant is doing it more than the other but both are having this problem.

Could be an number of reasons... overwatering, too much nitrogen, not enough potassium/phosphorus, the plant just isn't ready yet... the list goes on.

One easy way to resolve a nitrogen issue is to add some bonemeal at watering time.

randyp said:
          Your other plants are ok?It could be a temp problem on that variety. :think:
I've had a few on my jalapeno and serrano but not nearly as much as with my habs. These are also in my wally world bags. My plants are drooping before I water them so I don't think its over watering. Maybe I will try the bloodmeal since I already have some.

Its common for all of them to do this until the temps are right in my experience. Thats just one reason though. Are your night temps 60 or above? They should be right?

PrimeTime said:
Its common for all of them to do this until the temps are right in my experience. Thats just one reason though. Are your night temps 60 or above? They should be right?
90-105 the last 2 weeks

Most of my flowers are dropping on my hotter peppers :/ I'm in Sac so we are pretty darn close to same weather. I'm thinking next growing season I'm going to keep them under shade cloth. 

Spicy Mushroom said:
Most of my flowers are dropping on my hotter peppers :/ I'm in Sac so we are pretty darn close to same weather. I'm thinking next growing season I'm going to keep them under shade cloth. 
maybe I will do that as well next season.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low 85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Thanks, Willard. I thought I saved that off somewhere a short while back, but can't find what I did with it. Now I've got it where I know I will find it - as a quote, of course!

Back