• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flower question

First time growing chilies, so the answer isn't necessary obvious to me, but here goes: if you cut off or if the plant drops a flower, can a new flower emerge from the same spot or is that no longer a viable place for it? It's been cutting a lot of my flowers off to promote a bigger plant, just worried I might lose out on fruit because of it. 

Thanks in advance

Flowers/pods and stems only emerge from growth nodes. Like the "growth node" name implies, new growth always comes from them, and it happens repeatedly. This is obvious in overwintered or topped chile plants as new stems will start from the nodes, causing the plant to bush out more. It will happen with your first-year plants that are not topped, too, but it's not quite so obvious. So as ED said, no worries!

Thanks guys, that's reassuring! I was worried I might not get any fruit, not until it's too late anyway. One of my plants has been dropping flowers itself (I was hand pollinating, so I know that part was right) - I suspect the temperature gets too warm in our conservatory during the day. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that. Some of my really short plants 6 inches maybe decided that they want to pop some flowers, which is funny when you look at that skinny thing. 

On days when you pollinate them if that's what your doing.. try to keep the flowers dry and don't spray or mist them, and if you can move the plant to a shaded or warm location (Not direct sun hot / or cold darkness....) the flowers will pollinate. If you have an excess in nitrogen the plant can also abort the flowers early..

I try and just pluck the smaller plants flowers and forget about what could of been for the future production of the plant...

Back