breeding Flower Tags for Crossed Peppers

What kind of tags do you guys utilize for marking your crossed flowers and where to you get them?

I see some people use tags you can write on that look like they zip tie and i've seen tie on ones. 

Last year I tried marking with paint but the paint wore off before my pods where finished and I lost track of crossed pods. 

Links would be cool too, not just for me but for others that may be looking into options as well. Thanks!

Jewelry tags. I use a # system to conserve space on the small tags. Top # is the pollen donor and the bottom # is the recipient.
Walmart.

20150225_204818.jpg

In this case, #29 was Peach bhut jolokia and #122 was Pimenta de neyde

a few companies make white zip ties that have these built on label areas...

i bought some white plastic...  stick into the dirt kind way back... like 500 of them. when i run out in oh, 2033, im going to switch to these zip ties... ive lost a number of the white stick into the dirt kinds.

200pcs-white-Nylon-Cable-management-components-font-b-Label-b-font-Labeling-Maker-Tag-Cable-font.jpg

perhaps you could find one in a very small size, that fits around a flower? idk.

I'd be worried about something too big and heavy knocking the flower off blowing in the wind but the bigger zip tie ones would be good for marking an entire branch if I pollinated all the flowers on it. 

The jewelry tags are very handy especially for crosses involving very petite or delicate flowers such as chiltepins and some smaller wilds. And when it comes to cross pollinating the flowers nothing beats the full line of KISS tools.

20150225_213123.jpg

I've ben using a Dymo labeller with plastic stickers I usually write like " RMS x PBJ " for a Red Moruga Scorpion x Peach Bhut Jolokia " and fold the sticker back on itself over the stem . I've just ordered some Jewellery Tags as well . like pictured above..

The Dymo labels have been god so far though.

I use colored straws. I have found the lines fade off the white one after a year but the ones made of colored plastic are great. Cut into small 1/8inch pieces and slit open. Go right over the stem and don't hamper growth. I catalog crosses and so when my isolated pods are ripe I know what I have.

Justaguy said:
I use colored straws. I have found the lines fade off the white one after a year but the ones made of colored plastic are great. Cut into small 1/8inch pieces and slit open. Go right over the stem and don't hamper growth. I catalog crosses and so when my isolated pods are ripe I know what I have.
Thats Genius!!!

KrakenPeppers said:
I've ben using a Dymo labeller with plastic stickers I usually write like " RMS x PBJ " for a Red Moruga Scorpion x Peach Bhut Jolokia " and fold the sticker back on itself over the stem . I've just ordered some Jewellery Tags as well . like pictured above..

The Dymo labels have been god so far though.

I actually have one those too, just needs a refill. I found the print faded pretty good out in the sun on labeled pots but I suppose they wouldn't be exposed for as long just marking flowers. 

Twist ties from bread bags or anywhere else I can find them - color code for each cross and track on paper or spreadsheet.

queequeg152 said:
a few companies make white zip ties that have these built on label areas...

i bought some white plastic...  stick into the dirt kind way back... like 500 of them. when i run out in oh, 2033, im going to switch to these zip ties... ive lost a number of the white stick into the dirt kinds.

200pcs-white-Nylon-Cable-management-components-font-b-Label-b-font-Labeling-Maker-Tag-Cable-font.jpg

perhaps you could find one in a very small size, that fits around a flower? idk.
I use these to label my plants in general at the base of each plant. After losing so many tags during the crazy storms we get, I found these work best. 

D3monic said:

I actually have one those too, just needs a refill. I found the print faded pretty good out in the sun on labeled pots but I suppose they wouldn't be exposed for as long just marking flowers. 
I've had mine out there for about 4-5 weeks now I guess and they have shown a tiny amount of fading and there exposed to direct hot sun and have had a lot of rain too, the pods are almost finished on those ones now so they wil be picked long before they are illegible

Back