• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield Flowering stems keep falling off

I have several chilli plants in my garden as well as some in pots. there's one in particular that i'm keeping a close eye on at the moment. it's a trinidad scorpion butch taylor. It's a healthy looking plant, it's getting quite big, branching out nicely and it's currently got more buds on it than i can even count but the problem is every time a bud flowers the stem seems to fall off.... I know with chillies not every single one makes it but its happened about 3 or 4 times now with this plant and i'm wondering why this is happening to what is presumably an extremely healthy looking plant. I can post photo's of it if need be to give you guys a better idea.

Thanks in advance.

Could be an imbalance of some kind. Too much nitrogen perhaps

I've read that overwatering can cause it so im holding off on the water at the moment. I'm in New South Wales, Australia and we're coming right into summer here now its had very good sun on it today and i havent watered it at all today and it hasn't shrivelled it just looks happy so maybe ive been overdoing it with water and fertiliser.

Hello from down in Vic, lots of things can cause flower drop so it's hard to say, especially early in the season. Temperature swings are also a common cause, down in Vic it's usually the cold nights but I assume it's staying warmer up in NSW. Chinense varieties can be fussy in my experience. Hopefully once the plant gets used to the Australian summer it will set fruit :).

Hello from down in Vic, lots of things can cause flower drop so it's hard to say, especially early in the season. Temperature swings are also a common cause, down in Vic it's usually the cold nights but I assume it's staying warmer up in NSW. Chinense varieties can be fussy in my experience. Hopefully once the plant gets used to the Australian summer it will set fruit :).

Just checked said plant before when I got home from work and it now has 4 open flowers on it and no more have fallen off. I think perhaps overwatering was the problem after all... The plant seems to be looking a little bit more "hardy" since i decided to stop watering it im going to hold off watering it until its wilted and ill see what happens in the coming months or so.... would have been nice to have been able to pick a couple in time for christmas but todays the 19th of Dec so it's too close now...

I have several chilli plants in my garden as well as some in pots. there's one in particular that i'm keeping a close eye on at the moment. it's a trinidad scorpion butch taylor. It's a healthy looking plant, it's getting quite big, branching out nicely and it's currently got more buds on it than i can even count but the problem is every time a bud flowers the stem seems to fall off.... I know with chillies not every single one makes it but its happened about 3 or 4 times now with this plant and i'm wondering why this is happening to what is presumably an extremely healthy looking plant. I can post photo's of it if need be to give you guys a better idea.

Thanks in advance.
@FoxHound4690 Hello, hope you are well? A little piece of advice someone gave me when I started my pepper Journey " Less is more" has helped me in my growing and often lots of fertiliser and water can do more harm then good. I'm sure your plant will eventually start holding flowers. Give it some time. All the best for 2022

Last edited:
UPDATE: Currently got 6 or 7 scorpions coming through that are looking solid and healthy.... I think the plant was either getting too much water or it just needed to grow past its teething problem stage. still got the odd pod falling off but got heaps of chillies coming through and the plant is getting massive now. Can't believe how much its grown since Xmas... should end up with a hell of a good crop overall.

VIDEO UPDATE:

I started my own youtube channel... AusChilliMate... that's me =)

Like and subscribe if you love peppers i'm going to post some plant updates and things....

Thought i'd do a quick filming of the butch taylor plant that was the subject of this thread. Thanks to all you guys who responded to this thread and check the video if you like to see how my plant turned out. pretty massive and it's still growing!!!

Back