• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flowers forming...

Hey all,

I hear of people pinching flowers to stimulate growth. I have some jalapenos and pepperoncinis starting to form... these plants are around a foot tall... better to pinch or let flower ? What are the advantages / disadvantages of this practice ? Is pinching as simple as it sounds; simply plucking the flower or should they be snipped ?

--Mega

Common thought is if you pinch buds when the plants are small the plant will take that as a sign it's too early to flower and concentrate it's energy and resources on growing larger. If you don't pinch them then the plant will start producing pods and energy and resources that would be used to gain size are diverted to pod production which leads to a stunted plant.

I always pinch pods until the plant is approaching two feet tall. Totally your decision.

I usually only pinch large podded annuums which can grow bigger than the plant and weight hem down severely while also using up a lot of energy that could have gone into having a bigger, more productive plant overall

i have 80 plants this year in a closet, and even still have decided to just let them fruit... ive been helping pollinate, but am also panning on removing all fruit when i transplant to outside,,,, this ensures that all my cross pollinated indoor plants dont continue. i need to save seeds from plants farther apart.

You know, I can't stand it when people tell you that they are doing what they are supposed to do. Pinching is an advanced technique in horticulture....it's not something some people do and others don't. If you don't understand or care to understand then do what you do, but don't act like it's a ridiculous idea because then you are just being ignorant.

Mega....if you want your plants to vegetate and grow larger, then you want to pinch your buds. (as long as the growing season warrants it. If you don't have enough time left in the season, then you will want to let them run their course) If you started your plants indoors and they started budding and flowering while still small or before plant out. Then pinch them off as they pop up and the plant will continue to grow in size. This in the end will give you larger, more healthy fruit as well as more fruit per plant. (as long as your plants stay healthy)

Just do the research and take what advice works for you. I just found my White Habaneros and Jamaican Scotch Bonnets starting to produce their first little buds at around 53 days from seed to soil. The plants are around 10inches tall. I plan on pinching them off until I can transplant them outside in may. Once outside I will keep them vegged until they reach their mature size, then I will start fertilizing with a blooming formula and let them take off. Once the pods start ripening, if you harvest them regularly, it will promote the plant to continue putting out fruit until the growing season ends.

Good luck!

Hey 3/5,

Could not pinching be a reason my plants seemed to have stopped upward growth ? I am assuming as og now it maybe. All the frozen ones seem to be those that are flowering. My others seem to be continuing to get bigger and bigger by the day.

-- Mega

Yes Mega, that is exactly why. They have directed their energy to blooming. Pinch the flowers/buds as they pop up and your plants will start to veg. Again.

I've found that pinching the buds seems to really help the plant growth. I did an experiment to pinch buds on one plant and leave the buds on the other plant alone to flower. The plant that I pinched had a lot more bushy growth to it compared to the one that I did not pinch. But once they are outdoors and of decent size you should stop pinching. :)

the case on my bhut j. its just a foot tall and starting to make a Y pattern stem, and i noticed a 4 little buds on it already, Its been sitting oudoors for about two weeks, do you guys think it will continue to grow if i dont pinch the little buds, be cause its on outdoor already?

the case on my bhut j. its just a foot tall and starting to make a Y pattern stem, and i noticed a 4 little buds on it already, Its been sitting oudoors for about two weeks, do you guys think it will continue to grow if i dont pinch the little buds, be cause its on outdoor already?

Yes it will continue to grow as well as spit out buds if left alone, bud will fall on its own. How tall is the plant? If it just formed the Y. Pinching at least one more round of buds wont hurt. It is totally up to you if you wanna pinch or not. The plant will grow and produce either way.

Back