• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flowers on very young plant?

I wonder, it looks like its flowering. Is it? But its so young, and small. The height is 8cm, or 3.14 inches. Age is 2-3 months. Its my second season with peppers, i dont know much, thats why im asking.

20200308_125823.jpg

The plant's flowering because of how old it is, but the growth is stunted.  I would probably top it, as TB suggests, leaving several growth nodes so it can grow back with better form and spacing, but I think evaluating your growing conditions is necessary.  If you were to top it or pinch flowers, many of which may abort anyway, it would likely continue to perform similarly without a change in conditions.

I'd also check for signs of pests, though I don't think that's the issue.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
But OPs title reports "very young plant"? Clarification please? Even if it's an C. annuum, flowering at 3 inches tall (Unknown maturity time frame, granted.)a bit unusual IMO

Sure.  In the OP it says 2-3 months, so I'm thinking it may not be early for it to be budding and that the plant should be more developed.  I t looks like it could possibly be an annuum too, despite the density of buds.  Certainly not sure of that.  I have annuum budding currently at < 2 months.

There's definitely issues with the plant structure.  In particular, terminal growth doesn't show good vigor and the leaves suggest it has been getting less healthy over time.  Leaf condition suggests to me watering retention might be an issue as proper leaf formation is being interfered with.  I'm wondering if it's a medium and/or watering-based issue.

Just trying to pitch in with my $0.02 worth of ideas.  I could certainly be wrong.  There isn't much detail ATM as to the plant type, lights, medium, etc. to go on.  Looks like the neighbor plants are showing similar growth concerns, though.

OP - good luck with these.  If you'd like to provide some more info/detail it will likely help people better help you.

The seeds are from this plant https://www.pickandjoy.com/en/vegetableplants/hot-chili-red Sorry, dont have more info than that.

The lights are from Ikea. They are by a window so they get some daylight. But in january and february it hasnt been much sun. Humidity is 37%. I have kept the soil constant moist. I have sprayed them twice a day with tap water.

All plants are of same age.

If I have feed them anything its standard local shop liquid nutrition NPK 7-1-5. Since i cant remeber it shouldnt be much.

20200310_080155.jpg

20200310_080137.jpg

20200310_083112.jpg

I'm going to say it's highly likely you're over-watering and in any event I'd recommend watering differently than regular spraying of the surface.  The first thing I noticed on the link you provided (after thinking they're probably Annuum) is that they recommend watering twice to four times a week and I thought "that's way too much."  Peppers don't like to be damp all the time.

From what I see of your environment, and I don't know about your soil/media, I'd be watering maybe once every 5 days. Possibly even less often.  I'd water completely at that time, enough that a small amount runs out of the container. The surface of the soil should totally dry out and the containers should start to feel light before you water again.

At this point root rot could be an issue, which could make it more work to get things back on track.  I'd invert one that that shows irregular leaves and pop it out of the container.  Can you see the roots?  Are they healthy, white, and somewhat thick, or are they more narrow and brown?  If you decide to do this, consider posting a picture of the root ball.

they're flowering because of stress.  How large are those containers?  look a bit small but it's hard to tell.  Go ahead and stop watering until they start to wilt, then water them, document that time interval.  If it's 5 days from last water to wilt, water them every 4 days.  Letting them wilt won't hurt them.

Leaf growth is irregular so something is up.  Could be a nutrient deficiency from over watering.  You're using a commercial potting soil right?  If so, it should have everything they need.  Just because you're indoors doesn't mean they can't get a disease/pest.  I've had broad mites, aphids, and verticillium wilt on my indoor starts.  You might want to spray neem on those guys just out of an abundance of caution.

Hi again, its been an exhausting month with various life issues. Havent had time and engergy to focus on my plants. But now is the time. And this week the temperature is high enough to bring them outside to the balcony.

Many plants have been given larger pots and better soil with perlite and clay pepples.

And yes Doelman! I almost sure I have thrips. In their nymf state. Shape of a hot dog. They are pretty quick for their size and their movement is similar to a Silverfish. Likes to hang out in flowers when they are not on the leaves. Im spraying with water+soap+garlic after sunset at the moment. Next ill be doing water+soap+alcohol. If any of this is a NO NO please tell. Tips on solutions are welcome. Some plants are getting their top soil covered with clay pebbles, maybe they lay their eggs in the top soil im not sure.

I´ll be studiyng about diseases aswell this week.

I have examined the roots of plants that have died and found nothing odd, only Thai basil so far, dont think a single pepper plant have died. But they dont thrive thats for sure!

Hey Sunvald.  Thanks for following up and posting that you think it's thrips.  It's helpful to see that and be able to identify it.  Bummer that you have bugs, but now that you know you can do something about it.  Be careful with alcohol on plants.   It has a strong dehydrating effect and people have posted previously about it killing plants.  

Put this up in my "Havent yet spayed area" to catch Fungus gnats, which I had last year. No gnats but it catch lots of thrips, wasnt prepared for that. Aperantly they jump, in the original photo you can even see that some has wings.
stickybutterfly.jpg

But It doesnt really feel like the thrips was the original problem, the colony seem too small. But what do I know, wasnt checking for bugs jan - feb. Thrips seem more easy to fight than aphids and gnats which I fought last year. I have good hope. At the moment I have no need to change the content of my anti bug spray, they die.

i had i sunshine chilli plant which flowered in its 3rd week and by fourth week love pod was ready to harvest .. will update u with picture once i find it 

You have some sort of pest damage. Don't make any assumptions about which kind, based on numbers. All pests may be disease vectors, and it only takes one.
I'm really inclined to say this either aphid or mite damage. Either way, better get ahold of it quick, it it will set you back a long way.

solid7 said:
You have some sort of pest damage. Don't make any assumptions about which kind, based on numbers. All pests may be disease vectors, and it only takes one.
I'm really inclined to say this either aphid or mite damage. Either way, better get ahold of it quick, it it will set you back a long way.
Well I did have thrips. They are gone now. I havent seen them for about two weeks. It feels like the plants are slowly recovering.

CaneDog said:
I'm going to say it's highly likely you're over-watering and in any event I'd recommend watering differently than regular spraying of the surface.  The first thing I noticed on the link you provided (after thinking they're probably Annuum) is that they recommend watering twice to four times a week and I thought "that's way too much."  Peppers don't like to be damp all the time.

From what I see of your environment, and I don't know about your soil/media, I'd be watering maybe once every 5 days. Possibly even less often.  I'd water completely at that time, enough that a small amount runs out of the container. The surface of the soil should totally dry out and the containers should start to feel light before you water again.

At this point root rot could be an issue, which could make it more work to get things back on track.  I'd invert one that that shows irregular leaves and pop it out of the container.  Can you see the roots?  Are they healthy, white, and somewhat thick, or are they more narrow and brown?  If you decide to do this, consider posting a picture of the root ball.
Yes, I was over-watering. I adjusted my watering as you suggested back in march. But some days ago when I started repotting I noticed that soil I thought would be completely dry was actualy moist bellow the top surface. So for now I dont water untill the plants tell me so.

Back