Flushing plants

I gave my plants MG tomatoe fertilizer but it ended up being too much and a few new leaves look burnt and wilted.  They are all in 5 gallon buckets. Today I put 1-2 gallons of water through each plant and let it drain out the bottom. Should this be sufficient or do I need to put more water through them?

Define "too much" - if you followed the directions on the package the flushing you've already done should be sufficient; just give them plain water for the next couple of weeks and they should recover. Likely the old growth won't return to normal but the new growth coming in should be fine. And clearly back off the amount you do use when you return to using the fert. However, if you got over-enthusiastic and added more than the directions indicate, you probably ought to flush a couple more times.

Caveat - the age of your plants makes a difference, too. Very young plants can only handle very small amounts of nutes, so would require more flushing even if you mixed according to the package directions. I am assuming that your plants are reasonably grown at this point since you are in California and not the "great white" (snowy) part of the country. 

geeme said:
Define "too much" - if you followed the directions on the package the flushing you've already done should be sufficient; just give them plain water for the next couple of weeks and they should recover. Likely the old growth won't return to normal but the new growth coming in should be fine. And clearly back off the amount you do use when you return to using the fert. However, if you got over-enthusiastic and added more than the directions indicate, you probably ought to flush a couple more times.

Caveat - the age of your plants makes a difference, too. Very young plants can only handle very small amounts of nutes, so would require more flushing even if you mixed according to the package directions. I am assuming that your plants are reasonably grown at this point since you are in California and not the "great white" (snowy) part of the country. 
Each plant got about 2/3 gallon of 18-18-21 so 12-12-14. The plants are this big 
6kPjuqO.png

I was fertilizing them in hopes of fixing the flower drop problem but I just messed things up more. Gonna leave them alone once the fertilizer is flushed out

sp33d said:
how well does your soil drain

Water came out the bottom until the buckets were just very damp.

My opinion might not matter much but less is more when it comes to growing anything..that's what I have learned from my many years of gardening and short time of growing peppers...

Edit..maybe it's just me but I think your plant looks generally healthy...correct me if I am wrong anyone...

sp33d said:
My opinion might not matter much but less is more when it comes to growing anything..that's what I have learned from my many years of gardening and short time of growing peppers...

Edit..maybe it's just me but I think your plant looks generally healthy...correct me if I am wrong anyone...
I know they do best when I leave them. When i try to fix them (flowers dropping) I cause another problem

I hear ya man...and I know it's hard but eventually it will become easier for you to just let them be and they will bless you with an abundance of pods...

sp33d said:
I hear ya man...and I know it's hard but eventually it will become easier for you to just let them be and they will bless you with an abundance of pods...
Word. flower drop got me trippin.

I thought I was doing good watering every day. Mine are doing much better with way less water. Some time we love them too much..

Back