• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Flushing

Does anybody flush their soil through when they are buckets/pots? Is flushing recommeded? and if so what flush do you use and/or is there a homemade flush?

Thanks

Barry

What purpose were you thinking of for doing this? I have only done this when they have been overfertilized.

In the hottest driest time of summer I have to really soak the pots so they don't dry out, but otherwise too much water will drown the roots.

What purpose were you thinking of for doing this? I have only done this when they have been overfertilized.

In the hottest driest time of summer I have to really soak the pots so they don't dry out, but otherwise too much water will drown the roots.

I have no purpose. I was told by the guy at the grow store. He said you should do it once a month but as I have not really seen it mentioned on here I though would ask as I trust people on here more than some chap at a store.

When using most chemical fertilizers, you should flush every now and then with straight water to help eliminate nutrient salt build up

But not all nutrients can be absorbed foliarly.
I'm not sure about the botanicare, but usually anything derived from nutrient salts can build up in your soil. Organic nutrients like compost and manure etc. shouldn't be a problem since microbes first break it down into usable forms without all the salts

i water enough that the salts are flushed out

i am growing in pots on a cement slab

i am more worried about the irrigation police busting me for the runoff

than i am about some unsightly build up

just because i am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me :eek:

please provide a picture of the plants that look like they need flushing

or please provide a picture of any one plant that indicated it might like some of that?

I use Botanicare pro bloom. So would I need to flush when using this fert?
i would do it just to be safe rather than have your plants die or get set back. what i do is i take regualar PH adjusted water and water till some water flows out the bottom, then i havea separte watering can with Fert, wait a few min then water again withsome Ph water to push the ferts into the root zone. and i feed with 1/2 strengh fert every time. so far so good

i water enough that the salts are flushed out

i am growing in pots on a cement slab

i am more worried about the irrigation police busting me for the runoff

than i am about some unsightly build up

just because i am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me :eek:

please provide a picture of the plants that look like they need flushing

or please provide a picture of any one plant that indicated it might like some of that?

I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot and my terra cotta pots fit perfectly in the bucket where i water and the excess goes into the bucket! i live on 2nd floor apt so i do not want runoff flowing to my neighbors balcony! once done i dump the bucket on the plants in the complex and they are gowing bigger than the others! :woohoo:

Not sure what your sales person is recommending to you, but a good practice when using containers is to water thoroughly, being able to see the water exit thru the drainage holes. You will have "acid rains" thru the summer which will certainly change the ph in the soil, also saline build-up, leaching from excessive chemicals, not a bad idea to occaisionally "flush" (overwater) your pots...

Back