• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Flying bugs in my soil

I am back once again for your help. I don't know if they are bad or not but better safe than sorry. All of my pepper plants that are in pots outside have some bugs that live in the soil and fly away when I move the soil. They kinda look like mosquitos but without the stinger. I did some searching on what bugs can live in the soil and I found out about fungus gnats. Is that what they are? I took some pictures but I'm not sure how good they came out because the bugs were really small. 

Pictures
85n1E8G.jpg

SFTGhid.jpg

Doesnt look like the fungus gnats we get around here. Not saying it isnt a different species tho. The real worry about fungus gnats is the larvae, maybe check around your roots for the feeding little maggots. When I had them I took the plants out of their  pots  and hosed the soil off, then repotted in fresh soil. I had a pretty bad case of them tho and my butch t's were badly infested (500+ maggots per 400mm pot).

Here is an update on my other pepper plants that are in full sun. I found what looks to be wasps but they just sit on top of the leaves and do nothing. They are not going for the flowers. Are they harmful?
1AYXezm.jpg

VRt0wUl.jpg

AvdZ8Cc.jpg

Lastly, I saw these green shiny flies. From what I read I learned that these are beneficial. Is that correct?

vcYvKZA.jpg

Both wasps and yellow jackets are good for your plants, as they eat insects and other things that could damage your plants.  Same thing applies to the green flies (I believe they're called long-legged flies).  As for your mystery bug, it looks like a mosquito to me.  Hope this helps!

Back