• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Foliar Feeding...Science behind it?

I've been doing a little reading on foliar feeding, and I'm seeing there is some disagreement as to how effective it really is.

Does anyone here do it on a regular basis?

Any side by side comparisons with plants foliar fed versus root fed?

It seems that foliar feeding will require less fertilizer per application compared to root drenching. A gallon of foliar fert would go a lot further, i.e., cover more plants than the other method, or am I mistaken here?

Foliar feeding is a secondary tool. It's not meant to be a substitute for soil application.

Plants have stomatas that allow the passage of nutrients, oxygen and carbon dioxide. They take in the nutrients applied through foliar feeding. They are mostly (or possibly all; I'm not that informed yet) on the underside of leaves. More of these stomatas open up during the night or in lower light conditions.

Foliar feeding is a good way to figure out a plants deficiencies. If you are having symptoms, you can apply different nutrients and get a faster response vs. soil application.

Foliar feeding with an AACT coats the plant with a protective layer of beneficial organisms as well as providing nutrients for the plant.

Plenty of good reasons to foliar feed and I prob. Haven't listed half of them.

This info is true to the best of my knowledge. People, feel free to add or correct if necessary.

I've also seeing lots of good and bad comments on foliar feeding.

Every time I do a 5 gal. bucket of tea (AACT), I always do foliar and do the soil as well. Before I only did the soil and about 2 weeks ago foliar.

I have noticed that some are getting greener and one of my baccatums started flowering like mad.
I'd say that the benefit comes in when you do both and not just foliar. That's my experience, but I'm still observing how my plants react to it.

, Vegas

I agree with Vegas and 3/5King. Foliar is not meant to be used in place of soil feeding. Foliar feeding nutrients are also absorbed through the leaves at a quicker rate rather then soil feeding passing the nutrients through the roots, then to the rest of the plant. Its recommended to do both. Foliar feeding is also recommended when there is a deficiency, as it seems to help the plant recover from its symptoms quicker.

My sense is that foliar application is pretty good for some micronutrients, but I can't see how it would be effective for NPK, there is just no way to get the quantities required applied to the leaves. I have noticed after spraying with epsom and molasses that my plants did a huge burst of flower production. I am brewing my first batch of AACT right now and will be spraying the entire garden with it once it is done.

I wonder if foliar sprays might be more effective on indoor grows? Outdoors the leaves get a much heavier wax coat to protect from UV. I imagine that inhibits absorption of anything sprayed on the leaves.

My sense is that foliar application is pretty good for some micronutrients, but I can't see how it would be effective for NPK, there is just no way to get the quantities required applied to the leaves.
This is accurate, but remember when you foliar feed much of that liquid drips into the soil where it can be taken up by the roots.
Foliar feeding is usually used commercially for quick greening prior to sale or for correction of deficiencies caused by soil problems such as incorrect ph or poor aeration/compaction.

This is a good informative source:
http://ifa-coop.com/agronomy-articles/5-guidelines-for-a-successful-foliar-feeding

[background=rgb(238, 234, 227)]
The grower and IFA crop advisors take that information and develop a combination of nutrients that best address the crops requirements and give the best results.[/background]
For best results when foliar feeding, there are some basic rules that should be followed to provide the best opportunity for positive, consistent results.[/background]
1. Temperature — Plants will begin to close the stomatal openings or curl the leaf at 87 F. This is done naturally so a plant does not transpire as much water during the heat of the day.[/background]
Applying the nutrient solution before that temperature is reached gives the grower the best chance of overcoming the normal plant physiological functions. Plants can better absorb nutrients when the temperature is below 87F.[/background]
2. Salt Index — Whatever products are foliar fed, spray solutions should have a salt index of 10 or less. Application of IFA low salt index products will result in an osmotic absorption, which is quick, clean and complete absorption of nutrients into plant tissue without tissue damage. This gives the grower the best chance of achieving positive results.[/background]
3. Humidity — Humidity levels vary greatly across the United States. Utah has very low levels of humidity compared to the Midwest.[/background]
Higher humidity levels will help overcome leaf curling and stomatal closing, which also allows the nutrient solution to perform better and be more completely assimilated into the plant.[/background]
4. Sunlight — For best results when foliar feeding, plants need to be metabolizing and growing. This happens during photosynthesis.[/background]
For best results, applications should be made during the day so that the plant can absorb the nutrient solution, providing the best opportunity for positive results.[/background]
5. Droplet Size — Apply nutrient solutions with good atomization and small droplets. There are several spray tips available that will accomplish this. Whatever tip you choose, it’s best to have the pressure calibrated to at least 40 psi with the best results being achieved at more than 60 psi.[/background]
One thing to remember when foliar feeding is that a large percentage of stomatal openings are on the underside of the leaf. Applying solutions that coat both sides of the leaf will give the best chance of obtaining positive results.[/background]
When growers determine crop nutrient needs and make applications with the above guidelines, they will have the best chance to increase yields and overcome stress. Foliar feeding then becomes a valuable management tool that the grower can use to supply nutrients to a growing crop.[/background]
If you have questions about foliar feeding or need help putting together product mixes, talk with your local IFA certified crop advisor to determine the right combination and timing.[/background]

Back