dehydrators Food Dehydrators

Just picked up a Nesco BBB yesterday. It was about 70 bucks, but I signed up for some auto-texting thing at the counter for 20% off. I unsubscribed once I walked out of the store...

How much use are you planning on ?? (ie. is it just for your peppers and small home garden -- or larger scale for say farmers market sales -- or also using for making Jerky etc.) and what type of ballpark budget were you thinking of investing ?

How much use are you planning on ?? (ie. is it just for your peppers and small home garden -- or larger scale for say farmers market sales -- or also using for making Jerky etc.) and what type of ballpark budget were you thinking of investing ?

I have one I use for jerky but you can't set the temp. I would like one with temp control. Just going to mainly use for my my super chili plants, they are loaded. I may dry out some of the tscorps also to make powder. Would like to keep it under $150

This is the one I have, it works well, and you can buy more trays and stack 'em up as high as you want. If you get a cabinet-style dehydrator, you are limited to that number of trays. Depending on what your intended use is, that may or may not be an issue for you.
3c2dc40f.jpg

eb687c26.jpg

Nesco FD-80 square shaped dehydrator. They say you can get more on it than the round ones. And you can buy more racks for it. Mine works awesome! Temp. control and quiet.

Just loaded up my new dehydrator and snapped a few photos while I was making a video. It is really going to depend on how much you are planning on drying/growing. I have about 85 plants and significantly underestimated the amount of space needed for my harvest.

I thought I could fit MOST of
file-10.jpg

Into
file-16.jpg

I was planning on making 4 different powders (Supers, Bhuts, Yellows, and Choc Habs), but only was able to go with the Supers and Bhuts.

file-11.jpg

file-13.jpg

I would estimate somewhere between 18-25 pods per tray depending on size. And from what I am told, it will take about 5+ days drying at 95 degrees. So if you are planning on drying A TON of peppers, you may wanna look for something larger. I don't know if NESCO does the "add trays" thing that SL was talking about, but if so, that would be an awesome option.

Thanks for the info everyone. I decided to go with the Nesco FD-75PR 700-Watt Food Dehydrator just ordered one on amazon with 2 extra trays. I will post back with a review after I use it a few times.

I don't know if NESCO does the "add trays" thing that SL was talking about, but if so, that would be an awesome option.

IF it is the model I think it is Walmart has the expansion trays for $15 for a set of 2 -- http://www.walmart.c...A-Tray/14587306 or $18 per set if it is one of the Garden Master Series http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nesco-American-Harvest-Food-Dehydrator-Add-A-Tray-for-use-w-model-FD-1000-FD-1010-and-all-Garden-Master-Series/15730299?findingMethod=rr (IIRC they are expandable to about 20 trays and the unit is supposed to adjust automatically for the correct number of trays.)

I swear it seems the hotter the pod the longer it takes at 95 but boy oh boy the color it worth it! I just did 5 trays of super hots, first 24 hours the basement was dangerous!

I went for the Cabelas 80 liter dehydrator; the American Harvester was good, but lacked the capacity I wanted. The Cabelas is sweet; you set the run time and desired temp digitally and go about your business.

Needed the space ( 12 racks, 28 sq ft ) as this fall/winter I will be selling pepper products at a Farmer's Market.

Craig

Last year I was using one of the round 5 tray dehydrators but everything took too long, no variable temp settings, plus I always had to rotate the trays. This year I bought this one and it has worked out wonderfully. Almost anything I dehydrate is done in 12 hours or less. I only paid $160 for it when I got it. Next year when I plan on doubling my garden space, I with probably pick up another of these.

mgold, try bumping up your temp a little. I dried a bunch of yellows, reds, and oranges at 100-105F with no degredation of color and in more like 24-36 hours, not 5 days :crazy:. Did a batch of orange habs at 115, and they browned up big time.

Also, we all have to keep in mind the variations of the different models, and the number on the dial might not actually be the temp the dryer is producing. Everyone has to learn their own machine and figure out of the dryer is running hot or cold, or on temp.

I have the square Nesco, and yes, you can add trays to it, as well. It also has the temperature guage. My 2-cents: First time you run it slap a thermometer in there. After half an hour to an hour (just make sure it gets to run long enough to get to the temp you set it to), pop it open just long enough to fish out that thermometer and check what the real temp is. Plenty of people can tell you the temperature dial isn't as accurate as it could be. If you are planning on dehydrating at lower temps so the seeds stay viable, you'll definitely want to know the real temp vs. the dial.

Back