• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum "Fooled you" Jalapeno: Any one have them?

Been reading up on these after my fiancee's cousin mentioned he liked jalapeno's but wish they weren't as hot so he could just snack on them.  I have done some reading on them before and a couple places said they produce no seeds so you have to buy them from seed companies who create the hybrid?  Any truth to that?  Do they really taste like jalapeno?

Ive grown them before... they are super-vigorous and taste wonderful... and do have a poblano level heat (very slight).  However, I prefer jalapenos that are hotter and cork... the heatless jalapenos dont seem to cork.

Jalapeno TAM (Texas A&M) have been around for years. And most likely are the main jalapeno for commercial food items especially  commercial made poppers most used in restaraunts, i.e. TGIF's et.al.

Not hot at all and appeal to the masses. 

Even mrs. blues likes them, albiet the breaded and deep fried variety.

I grew several plant years ago.

Great peppers and plants for what they were but for chile heads for flavor and heat I'd rate them as...

JUNK!

I'd rate store bought Mexican xalapa's superior x 10.

Some sent me a bunch of peppers, I have also saved teh seeds, They are around somehwere if you want some. Just let me know. and send me a pm and i will see if i can find them.

In my experience most mild jalapenos, are also mild on the jalapeno flavor or no jalapeno flavor at all.

Senorita jalapeno - is a mild type with a poblano type heat, the peppers average 3 inches, Good yields.

Meatfreak (tasty-peppers.nl) has an amazing selection of jala seeds. He also had an extensive growout of almost all types known to man and can probably suggest you the best heatless varieties.

Cya

Datil

Back