For growers in the Dallas area with too many plants

So, I find myself in the situation where I have more plants than I will be able to provide the proper growing area that they need and deserve.  I begin scouring the internet looking for somewhere I can grow them within a short drive from my horrible apartment complex that I live in for the time being.  Low and behold, I find this:

http://www.gardendallas.org
http://www.gardendallas.org/Area%20Gardens2.htm

I have contacted a lady that runs one of the areas, and after filling out a few forms, some meetings here and there, and some hard work, I believe I will not only find a home for all my peppers, but also help out others who are more down on their luck than I am.  The basic rundown is that I will donate 50% of my harvest to the local food bank, actually heck, I will just copy what I got back in the email.

[SIZE=10pt]Douglas,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Thank you for your interest in volunteering.  The Plano Community Garden is a service project that requires a tremendous personal commitment and a desire to become part of the garden community.  Adopting a plot involves a promise to:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Provide produce to help support a family for a year[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Care for and cultivate a raised bed for all four seasons of the year[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Devote 3-5 hours a week (on average – more in the summer, less in the winter) to care for the bed[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Gather your produce weekly in time for delivery[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Report your harvest poundage weekly online[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Volunteer to drive the produce to the food bank at least once per quarter[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Show up to the monthly workdays (yes, even in the cold of winter and the heat of summer)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Participate in the 6 community meetings each year[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Our long-term gardeners are the ones who understand that, although they may keep up to half of their harvest for themselves, their primary goal is to provide fresh produce to the nutritionally impoverished.  They know that people somewhere in Plano are counting on them to keep their promises and they are proud to be counted on.  In return for their dedication, the volunteers enjoy the benefits of creating new friendships, sharing their gardening experience, and being a valued member of an active service community.[/SIZE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the requirement is to donate 50% of the harvest, I believe I will most likely donate nearly all of it.  

CAPCOM said:
You are going to be growing hot/super hot peppers, right?
Yes, and I understand your concern and the reason you ask.  I specifically asked about whether this would be okay and of any benefit and was told that there is always a huge demand for hot peppers at the food bank and that I would not be the only chili head within the growers.  Actually, what she said was that every time she goes to eat at her house she asks if it is hot for normal people or her.  I explained exactly what I was growing, and she said that was absolutely fine, and that they will be snatched right up at the food bank.

Scuba_Steve said:
Nice find, but I am not sure how much impoverished families will appreciate having their face melted off... lol
There will be some, there are a lot of different cultures/ethnicities in this area, many of which enjoy very hot food.  I spoke directly with the woman that runs the particular garden I will be growing in and she says that I am not going to be the first person there growing them, and that they are highly desired.  

Also, guys when you are really down and out, and there isn't really money to go towards extra things, every little thing outside of the normal day to day grind of just trying to stay afloat is a huge break, and a lift to your spirits.  I know that there will be a lot of excitement, a lot of trash talking, etc. within families saying "Hey, this pepper is like the hottest pepper on earth, I dare you to try it"  "What are you going to give me if I do?" That type of conversation is what got me into growing these crazy things, and I don't see it as a bad thing to let people who have so much on their minds in terms of how they are going to make it day to day, real concerns that matter, have a bonding moment such as eating a pepper born in the depths of hell, and living to brag about it to their friends.

That's a pretty awesome way to look at it man. If the lady says bring it on, then bring it on! I'm about to ask my community garden if I can borrow some space as well.

I actually lived in Plano for a few months while we built the Apple store at the mall in Frisco. Both great towns, had some good times up there

Sounds like a great opportunity. I just got the call last night that they’re shutting the community garden down that I belong to. I always grow about 50 plants there. While I have plenty of my own acreage at home it was great meeting with other gardeners once a week and exchanging ideas. My peppers where actually quite the hit and everyone tended to gravitate towards my plot to see what was flowering next. I’m really going to miss the all the comradery.  

Sounds like a cult to me. Just being honest here. How does that old saying go... Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. I believe thats part of what is so fucked up in this country. We cater to people that are able to do things for themselves but don't.

Now go ahead and flame me for being an asshole!

Whoe !?

There is just way too many possibilities that can exist in these type of scenarios to pass an absolute judgement on them. While Jamison may have a point that contains a certain amount of validity (in some cases) I feel, I myself dont have enough information of those specific groups, their geographic areas and /or the economic situations that exist there to concur without reservation. There are some of these community grows that do good things.
For one(and this is the most selfish of them) it provides a chili head without a grow space to do so. There are many in this community who just dont have the space or assets to attain additional growing space.
Another is, there are people out there that do benefit from this type of program. (and I used the word program loosely here and with reservation as (I am NOT a democrat) and feel we need fewer programs then we already have. It also provides an avenue to open up the passion we so embrace and share it with those who may, but without the program, may not.

But, I do have issues with the percentages and your responsibility  of accountability. Those quotas seem pretty out of line. One could argue that is is just the cost for the space and myself not having to deal with that aspect will have issues in realizing the same. and I am sure any potential grower would take into account  all the pros and cons before sowing the first seed.

And make the appropriate decision based on their wants and needs.

CAPCOM said:
Whoe !?

There is just way too many possibilities that can exist in these type of scenarios to pass an absolute judgement on them. While Jamison may have a point that contains a certain amount of validity (in some cases) I feel, I myself dont have enough information of those specific groups, their geographic areas and /or the economic situations that exist there to concur without reservation. There are some of these community grows that do good things.
For one(and this is the most selfish of them) it provides a chili head without a grow space to do so. There are many in this community who just dont have the space or assets to attain additional growing space.
Another is, there are people out there that do benefit from this type of program. (and I used the word program loosely here and with reservation as (I am NOT a democrat) and feel we need fewer programs then we already have. It also provides an avenue to open up the passion we so embrace and share it with those who may, but without the program, may not.

But, I do have issues with the percentages and your responsibility  of accountability. Those quotas seem pretty out of line. One could argue that is is just the cost for the space and myself not having to deal with that aspect will have issues in realizing the same. and I am sure any potential grower would take into account  all the pros and cons before sowing the first seed.

And make the appropriate decision based on their wants and needs.

Well said.  

What I was getting at is I feel as if they should contribute in some way other than reaping the benefits if that makes sense.  I agree it gives someone without a spot to grow a place to do so.  Yes, it would help out some people with fresh locally grown produce that they might not be able to acquire themselves by purchasing it.  To me this would be a great thing for elders,  handicapped,  mentally ill,  etc., or people that couldn't physically do it even if they wanted.  But the whole deal seems odd,  and therefore wouldn't partake in growing a garden.  Again this is just my opinion.  

I see both sides of the issue. I too feel we cater far too much to people that are more than happy to sit back and let somebody else do the "heavy lifting". That's the problem. There are so many people taking advantage of the system, that the people who really need it either can't get help, or get looked down on. People used to have a sense of pride. They would take help as a last resort, and only as long as they had to. Unfortunately now it seems to be something people brag about. There is a whole generation that believes they are supposed to sit at home and collect welfare/ unemployment because that's all they've ever known. They've never seen their parents get up and go to a job, so they don't think they should either.
    On the other hand, you have the people that really need it. People who have never used assistance, but have fell on hard times. Maybe they lost a significant other and temporarily were unable to hold down a job. Maybe they became sick and lost their job. There are hundreds of scenarios where I could see someone needing temporary assistance. The problem is the people who have been on "temporary assistance" for years, and have no plans of getting a job. I'm a Christian, and believe Christians are commanded by God to take care of the orphan, widow, or person down on their luck. It actually says to in the Bible. It also says if you can work, and don't, then you shouldn't eat. Obviously that's not "verbatim" , but trust me, It's in there.
  I also believe that's a lot to ask of someone. What if you miss a meeting due to work. What if you are unable to deliver the produce one week. I guess it all depends on whether you feel like it's a reasonable request. Either way, I admire your willingness to help. May God bless you with a bountiful harvest!

Jamison said:

Well said.  

What I was getting at is I feel as if they should contribute in some way other than reaping the benefits if that makes sense.  I agree it gives someone without a spot to grow a place to do so.  Yes, it would help out some people with fresh locally grown produce that they might not be able to acquire themselves by purchasing it.  To me this would be a great thing for elders,  handicapped,  mentally ill,  etc., or people that couldn't physically do it even if they wanted.  But the whole deal seems odd,  and therefore wouldn't partake in growing a garden.  Again this is just my opinion.  
Agreed! And that is specifically why I stated in (in some cases), to allow for those situations that I know you were targeting. Some of these programs , if intense scrutiny is not exercised become just as you implied, if you will, a cult .
peppernovice said:
    I see both sides of the issue. I too feel we cater far too much to people that are more than happy to sit back and let somebody else do the "heavy lifting". That's the problem. There are so many people taking advantage of the system, that the people who really need it either can't get help, or get looked down on. People used to have a sense of pride. They would take help as a last resort, and only as long as they had to. Unfortunately now it seems to be something people brag about. There is a whole generation that believes they are supposed to sit at home and collect welfare/ unemployment because that's all they've ever known. They've never seen their parents get up and go to a job, so they don't think they should either.
    On the other hand, you have the people that really need it. People who have never used assistance, but have fell on hard times. Maybe they lost a significant other and temporarily were unable to hold down a job. Maybe they became sick and lost their job. There are hundreds of scenarios where I could see someone needing temporary assistance. The problem is the people who have been on "temporary assistance" for years, and have no plans of getting a job. I'm a Christian, and believe Christians are commanded by God to take care of the orphan, widow, or person down on their luck. It actually says to in the Bible. It also says if you can work, and don't, then you shouldn't eat. Obviously that's not "verbatim" , but trust me, It's in there.
  I also believe that's a lot to ask of someone. What if you miss a meeting due to work. What if you are unable to deliver the produce one week. I guess it all depends on whether you feel like it's a reasonable request. Either way, I admire your willingness to help. May God bless you with a bountiful harvest!
Please do not quote scripture unless you are prepared to back it up with version, book, chapter and verse.
I know it is stated that Capt. John Smith told the early pilgrims that whoever did not work would not eat, but I do not recall that being in any biblical text I have ever read.

Also, I think this thread is deviating from what the OP intended, should probably swing it back and maybe pick this conversation back up in the lounge. I am guilty for the political quip, but I can see this trending elsewhere.

Capcom.... Sorry I didn't post it earlier. It's in the King James Version  2nd Thessalonians Chapter 3 verse 10 " For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Too damn bad that one guy's inspiring effort to help and do more gets lost in anti welfare rants and bible verse.  Matthew 7:1-3 maybe?

The internet allows the expression of opinion when it's not needed.

Bless you for doing extra Doug.  I wish you a wonderful harvest this year.  

SmokenFire.......You must have missed the part where I said " Either way, I admire your willingness to help. May God bless you with a bountiful harvest!".  My apologies to the OP. I never meant to hijack your thread.

Tim

Back