breeding For those who emasculate and cross peppers, how do you keep pods marked on the plant?

I tried to cross two varieties recently and just noticed a pod forming.  Whether or not the cross took place I won't know until later but I now need a way to keep this pod marked and separate from the others that will grow on the plant.  How do you guys do it?

you keep the bag on all throughout from podding to riping?  I just pulled the bag off right before I made the thread because I boticed a pod forming up

Maybe use a sticky tag on the stalk of the pod.

Did you follow that guide for crossing? Someome here sent me a link about it which had pictures and all just cant find it.

Sarge said:
Maybe use a sticky tag on the stalk of the pod.

Did you follow that guide for crossing? Someome here sent me a link about it which had pictures and all just cant find it.
yes sir I did

http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding
One thing I didn't do from the above guide was use the qtip.  I actually removed the entire flower from the father and lightly rubbed it's goods on the stigma then lightly tapped the father flower from above the female to sprinkle a ton of pollen on it as well. 

Very good memory and a string. Have one string color representing each plant kind, then you tie it around the flower base. I would be assuming you know what kind the 'mother' plant is, and just remember the color that the 'father' is.

I havent got to cross anything yet but I was planning on using those twist ties that come with garbage bags and loaves of bread when I do.

http://www.groworganic.com/tree-tags.html

tag_zps268136ec.jpg

spysee said:
I havent got to cross anything yet but I was planning on using those twist ties that come with garbage bags and loaves of bread when I do.

Twisty tie!

BbhLp0O.jpg

Organza bags are great, especially for the benefit of isolation, but if the pods have already formed, just find something to mark them. A looped bit of string even......

Browning said:
you keep the bag on all throughout from podding to riping?  I just pulled the bag off right before I made the thread because I boticed a pod forming up
Yep,unless the pod is giant. It will help protect from insects too.

Browning said:

Once the berry starts forming, there is no need to keep it isolated. It can be left on as a marker or removed and replaced with another type of marker. If you live in an area that is prone to fruit-attacking pests, it's probably a good idea to leave it on.

This year I used pipe cleaners from a variety pack that had tons of colors. Before that I was using twisty ties. I've damaged plants (not enough to cause problems) by tying twisty ties too tight, so I decided to switch to the more colorful and soft pipe cleaners. I use white nylon knee highs (black attracts heat so went with white) to isolate. After they set fruit, you take the bag or nylon off the plant.

Edit:

I was doing a lot of crosses and the pipe cleaners allowed me to have a nice color key legend. For example, I used red for TS Moruga male, orange for SB7J male, yellow for banana pepper male, etc. I didn't have to look at my notebook to check on crosses because I had an easy to remember color legend.

thegreenman said:
Yep,unless the pod is giant. It will help protect from insects too.

I worry about the moisture that could get trapped. I'd rather have insects than mold. However, you might use a different material that allows it to breath better. I might be too cautious about trapping heat and water. I never kept them on there after they set fruit. One year I had birds eat 4 crosses off a wild pequin! Other than that I haven't lost any.

+1 twist tie.
If it doesn't take, it's easy to move.
And I usually won't do just one, but 3 or 4 on the end of a branch, cutting off any extra blooms that show up later.

You can use different colors for different crosses on the same plant.

I use jewelry price tags. You can get 500 of them for about $7 on eBay or Amazon. I put shipping tape over the paper part so it doesn't fall apart when wet

Back